CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@jaspal rautela • 18 Jun, 2012 • 1 like
what is difference between thick and thin cylinder?
@Ramani Aswath • 18 Jun, 2012 • 2 likes Thick and thin:
[​IMG]
@jaspal rautela • 18 Jun, 2012 i am asking about cylinder................
@Ramani Aswath • 18 Jun, 2012 The question must have enough info for a meaningful answer. Otherwise the only difference is that one is thick and the other thin. Are they hollow cylinders? Do they contain pressure? What is the intended purpose?
@Kaustubh Katdare • 18 Jun, 2012
jaspal rautela
The question needs to be more informative. Else, the answer would be same as post #2 above. Are you, in any way, asking about Comparison of stress systems between thin and thick cylinder? 😨

PS: We're no mind readers, so you will have to explain your question in detail.
@mechky • 18 Jun, 2012
jaspal rautela
If the wall thickness of the cylinder is less than 1/10 of the diameter of the cylinder, then it is called a thin cylinder. If the wall thickness of the cylinder is greater than 1/10 of the diameter of the cylinder, then it is called a thick cylinder.
@Bala Venkat • 30 Jan, 2020

As per the book definitions, thick cylinder is a cylinder whose wall thickness is greater than 1/20 times of its internal diameter. whereas thin cylinder's wall thickness is lesser than 1/20 times of its internal diameter.

So, if the diameter is 20mm then, a thick cylinder's thickness would be greater than 400mm. 

Why is this important and where are these terminologies used?

Well, whenever you have to design a cylinder in which a liquid or gas is going to flow through the pipe, it causes stress to the pipe. There are three types of stresses: Circumferial stress, Longitudinal stress and Radial stress.

There are elaborate equations that let mech engineers decide which type of cylinder is best suited to deal with the stress.

@Mohana Chandra • 03 Mar, 2020 • 1 like

Cylinders are the geometric structures,which has many applications.One of the examples is ,We can see them using for transportation of petroleum products etc,where the walls of cylinders are subjected to Fluid pressure producing three types of stresses namely Hoop stress ,Longitudinal and Radial stresses.

As the question needs to be more informative,but still i will provide general difference between thin and thick cylinders:

The thickness of the wall of Thin cylinder is less than the 1/20 times of its internal diameter.

The wall thickness of Thick Cylinder is greater than 1/20 times of its internal diameter.

15.3k views

Related Posts

@raghunathreddy36 · Jan 27, 2010

The dc supply is given to transformers are may get dameged, what is region?
5.4k views

@Abhishek Rawal · Oct 12, 2013

I found Arduino IDE not a good tool to edit arduino sketches & upload it in Arduino, especially in my Linux system(Editor kinda sucks & it's slow). So, I searched...
14.5k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Aug 7, 2008

CEans, I just came to know that Sandeep Shelke - employee of Persistent Systems Limited, a Pune baseed IT firm, has committed suicide. As reported by this website - Star...
1.8k views

@asp28_01 · Aug 12, 2010

I'm using computer with windows 7 64 bit, AMD processor. While starting ansys 12.1 workbench it gives errors. This problem start occurring when my computer was not shut down properly....
2.3k views

@Neha · Oct 3, 2006

Yet another debatable topic. Advertising, one of the most common words in the existing world. Advertising is the thing which can change the whole outlook of the product depending on...
6k views