CrazyEngineers Archive
Old, but evergreen and popular discussions on CrazyEngineers, presented to you in read-only mode.
@Abhishek Rawal • 24 Jul, 2013
I know the basic difference, I want to know where, when & under which condition partial differentiation is used 7 under which condition differentiation is used ?
What is the main criteria which is needed for partial differentiation ?
@Jeffrey Arulraj • 24 Jul, 2013 Partial differentiation is used only if the variable is a function of more than to variables

Eg

A=F(x,y) Where X=F(t) and Y=F(t)

Then while differentiating A completely with respect to t we go for partial differentiation

DA/Dt= dA/dx*Dx/Dt+dA/dy*Dy/Dt

A=x^2+y^2
x=3t^2+1
y=6t

Now to find DA/Dt we need to partially differentiate A with respect to X and Y

But we must completely differentiate X and Y equations

dA/dx=2x
dA/dy=2y
Dx/Dt=6t
Dy/Dt=6

This implies

DA/Dt =2x*6t +2y*6
Instead of x and y we substitute the equations of x and y thus we get DA/Dt a complete differential solution
2.5k views

Related Posts

@Kaustubh Katdare · Apr 16, 2011

Canon Rock is the 'Rock' version of popular composition 'Canon In D' by musician John Pachelbel, created by popular guitarist Jerry C. YouTube user 'FunTwo' casually played the song and...
1.3k views

@Ankita Katdare · Aug 9, 2015

Working with foreign clients? Travelling solo to a new country? Translator apps are a big boon. While Google Translate has been dominating for years for any of your translation needs,...
1.5k views

@Kaustubh Katdare · Jul 11, 2012

One of the CEans wrote to me - Sir, I have completed my 3rd year of mechanical engineering and final year will be starting from august. Companies will start visiting...
2k views

@Ankita Katdare · Jan 18, 2016

Holding a MCA degree from Nagpur University, Jayanti Kathale came to Bangalore in 2004 to work for Bristlecone. Always in pursuit of implementing her business ideas, Jayanti started selling home...
10.1k views

@Ankita Katdare · Oct 26, 2016

Most engineers among us are also huge movie buffs. We have a great community here and we would love to read recommendations from fellow engineers. It'd be awesome to have...
1.8k views