Difference Between Simple Differentiation & Partial Differentiation.

I know the basic difference, I want to know where, when & under which condition partial differentiation is used 7 under which condition differentiation is used ?
What is the main criteria which is needed for partial differentiation ?

Replies

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Partial differentiation is used only if the variable is a function of more than to variables

Eg

A=F(x,y) Where X=F(t) and Y=F(t)

Then while differentiating A completely with respect to t we go for partial differentiation

DA/Dt= dA/dx*Dx/Dt+dA/dy*Dy/Dt

A=x^2+y^2
    x=3t^2+1
    y=6t

Now to find DA/Dt we need to partially differentiate A with respect to X and Y

But we must completely differentiate X and Y equations

dA/dx=2x
    dA/dy=2y
    Dx/Dt=6t
    Dy/Dt=6

This implies

DA/Dt =2x*6t +2y*6
    Instead of x and y we substitute the equations of x and y thus we get DA/Dt a complete differential solution

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm already fed up of reading the rumors about the new, cheaper iPhone being developed by Apple. It's just a matter of few weeks (I guess) that Apple will launch...
This upcoming film called 'Gravity' from Alfonso Cuaron is definitely a 'must watch'. Check the trailer below - Sandra Bullock gets 'thrown away' into the big black space out there....
Telecom Regulatory Authority of India has shown green signal to mass porting of corporate mobile numbers using MNP aka 'Mobile Number Portability' facility, which it launched a few months ago....
Japanese NTT has developed wearable textile electrodes which when worn inside of the short monitor your heart's parameters. These electrodes are fabricated using a type of a conductive fiber made...
Look, when you've billions of dollars in your bank accounts - you can always refund $6000 to a kid who unknowingly bought stuff worth $6000 on App Store. That's what...