Difference between sensor and transducer

Hi CEans.......
I'm an instrumentation student and often confused with the difference between sensor and a transducer.
confused with many explanations i have entered into the conclusion that a transducer is a type of sensor which converts any physical quantity into electrical.Am i right?
someone please help me understand.
Also how does a transmitter differ from these?

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    In my opinion, the obvious difference is what each does,
    A transducer converts one form of energy to another.
    A sensor detects the incoming quantity (be it signal, temprature or anything).
    A transmitter sends or broadcasts a quantity.
    These generic definitions can be applied to any quantity desired as per need.
  • yanivx
    yanivx
    rahul69
    In my opinion, the obvious difference is what each does,
    A transducer converts one form of energy to another.
    A sensor detects the incoming quantity (be it signal, temprature or anything).
    A transmitter sends or broadcasts a quantity.
    These generic definitions can be applied to any quantity desired as per need.
    hey Rahul you are almost there..... the definition of transducer is perfect but when you are talking about the sensors..... Transducer is a part of a sensor as in the case of pressure gauge the bourdon tube is the transducer that will convert pressure in to displacement. but the pressure gauge when connected with electrical cktary will be called as sensor.
  • madhu27
    madhu27
    Thanks for the reply....
    To my knowledge, transducer converts any form of energy into electrical one.If that is true, a bourdon tube can't be a transducer.So i may be wrong😨.
    If any form of energy is being converted into electrical one, what does it mean? a sensor or a transducer?😕
  • Jaigopal Soni
    Jaigopal Soni
    The words 'sensor' and 'transducer' are both widely used in the description of measurement systems. The former is popular in the USA whereas the latter has been used in Europe for many years. The word 'sensor' is derived from entire meaning 'to perceive' and 'transducer' is from transducer meaning 'to lead scross'. A dictionary definition of 'sensor' is `a device that detects a change in a physical stimulus and turns it into a signal which can be measured or recorded; a corresponding definition of 'transducer' is 'a device that transfers power from one system to another in the same or in the different form'.
    A sensible distinction is to use 'sensor' for the sensing element itself and 'transducer' for the sensing element plus any associated circuitry. All transducers would thus contain a sensor and most (though not all) sensors would also be transducers.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Is the bit system of a machine an important criteria for installing drivers? What actually happens during proper and improper installation of drivers?
Dear all, How to choose a fuse for a particular design? I just saw one design of SMPS. In that the input voltage range for the design is 90 to...
I have a doubt or you can say that I found a problem with Bernoulli theorem! So friends please tell me the solution for this - the doubt is that...
Dear all, I just came across SMPS design, in that For inrush current limitation NTC thermistor is chosen. But the question is, its rating is: 16ohms,1.7A, How this R&I value...
Dear all, What do you mean by voltage sag? Please reply