Difference between multithreading and multiprogramming.

hai friends,
can anybody tel me about difference between multithreading and multiprogramming.

Replies

• Reya
    Reya
    Multiprogramming is a form of parallel processing in which several programs are run at the same time on a single processor.Since there is only one processor, there can be no true simultaneous execution of different programs. Instead, the operating system executes part of one program, then part of another, and so on. To the user it appears that all programs are executing at the same time.

Multithreading is the ability of a program or an operating system process to manage its use by more than one user at a time and to even manage multiple requests by the same user without having to have multiple copies of the program running in the computer
  • anandkumarjha
    anandkumarjha
    Multiprogramming is the technique to run several programs at a time using timesharing. The main concept behind the multiple programming is that an operating system stores many programs in the main memory simultaneously and then the processor takes one job from that job pool and it executed them. When that job have to wait for some input output then it takes another job from thAt pool and executes it.like wise it seems that it handles many programs at the same time
    Whereas multithreading means the different threads in the process to perform similar type of the functions. Let's take one example that in the internet world server accepts the requests from the client side for the videos,audios,images. Now we consider the situation according to the single threaded system,in the busy network where many of the clients request for the same things the server would have provided its facilities to only one of the client but this is not the case with multithreading .this problem is solved bu the multithreading
  • Leo
    Leo
    Your question has been answered several times on CE, please try to search previous posts on before you post. Visit the following thread to get your answer,
    #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Why do we take 0- as the lower limit while doing laplace transform to find initial condition of a network instead of taking 0 as lower limit??😒
😁 I love it when some one radically tries to drift from the crowd mentality, these group of Canadian students came up with aerocraft which 'flaps' its wings like bird...
pls somone help me.................. i need a full seminar report on instant messaging system using distributed system......before 30th sept-10..... kindly send it to my mail-id----
Hello All, I had this idea of a new section on CE; let's call it "College Corner" to host discussions related to different engineering colleges all over the world. However,...
Here is the link and news about the outage of Facebook. Facebook apologizes for worst outage in 4 years - Computerworld