Difference Between Microprocessor and Intellectual Property Core

Saw this question in a friend's question paper & was unable to answer. Could someone shed some light on what is the exact difference between the two? 👀

Replies

• PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    PraveenKumar Purushothaman
    While a microprocessor is a physical implementation of a logic design, an IP core is the design (or the layout) itself. Therefore, it is also possible to see an IP core as the “core” of a microprocessor and as such calling it “microprocessor core”.

Commercially, the term core (or microprocessor core) is used to refer to the number of similar logic design (or layout) replicated inside a single microprocessor: Therefore, a dual-core processor will have two similar design duplicated in a microprocessor and a quad-core processor will have four similar design replicated.

Typically, the number of cores you have in a microprocessor will be a factor on deciding the number of threads (applications) that you can run on a computer at the same time (in parallel).

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want projects based on networking, database, some encryption algorithms, web applications(not web designs like online library management system etc). i can work on java well. i have done projects...
Coimbatore Institute of technology's Electronics Department is organizing an event called 'Interface T12'. It is a national level technical symposium. Events at the fest include: 1. Paper Presentation 2. Project...
BVSR Engineering College of Chimakurthy, Prakasam District, Andhra Pradesh is organizing a technical fest Tech Dhaarana 2011 in the year end. It is a national level Students Technical Symposium. Fest...
The Institute of Technology, Banaras Hindu University is announcing Prastuti '12, an all India Student's Paper Presentation Contest organized by the Electrical Engineering Society of Department of Electrical Engineering. It...
Researchers and scientists are busy in only one thing these days. They are trying to reduce the size of Silicon chip. Check out the latest happenings here. Silicon Chip Reduced...