Difference Between Isentropic Process and Polytropic Process?

Difference Between Isentropic Process and Polytropic Process?

Thank you for your question. Let me start with the basics.

Understanding thermodynamics often requires one to delve into the world of isentropic and polytropic processes.

These terms may seem complex, but when properly explored, they provide a critical insight into the functioning of several systems and machinery around us.

In this article, I will offer a detailed insight into these two pivotal concepts, illuminating their differences and real-world implications. Let’s start, shall we?

Introduction to Thermodynamic Processes

A thermodynamic process refers to the changes that a thermodynamic system undergoes from one equilibrium state to another. These changes involve variations in thermodynamic variables like temperature, pressure, volume, and entropy. Two critical thermodynamic processes are the isentropic and polytropic processes.

What is an Isentropic Process?

The term "isentropic" stems from the Greek words 'isos' (equal) and 'entropia' (turning), which essentially implies a process with constant entropy. The isentropic process, a subset of adiabatic processes, is a thermodynamic transition where the entropy remains constant.

This happens when the system is perfectly insulated, leading to no heat exchange with its surroundings. In an ideal world, such processes would be reversible, implying that the system can return to its initial state without impacting the surroundings.

In real-world applications, an isentropic process is often approximated during rapid compression or expansion, such as in gas turbine compressors and turbines. The isentropic efficiency of such devices provides a measure of their performance.

Defining Polytropic Process

In contrast, a polytropic process refers to a thermodynamic process that obeys the polytropic equation of state, which is characterized as P*V^n = constant, where P is the pressure, V is the volume, and n is the polytropic index. The value of n can alter depending on the specific thermodynamic process, with n=0 representing an isochoric process, n=1 denoting an isothermal process, and n approaching infinity signifying an isobaric process.

In a polytropic process, heat and work transfer can occur with the surroundings, and the process can represent a myriad of thermodynamic transitions, making it more flexible in its representation.

For instance, the process in many gas compressors can often be modeled effectively as a polytropic process. We’ll discuss the practical applications below.

Isentropic vs. Polytropic Process: Key Differences

The major difference between an isentropic process and a polytropic process revolves around entropy and the type of transitions they represent.

An isentropic process refers to an idealized thermodynamic process where entropy remains constant due to no heat transfer.

Such processes are typically approximations of real-world rapid compression or expansion situations.

On the other hand, a polytropic process doesn't have a constant entropy, pressure, temperature, or volume.

Instead, it employs a specific equation relating pressure and volume changes, encompassing a broader range of thermodynamic processes.

While both processes are essential in thermodynamics, they offer different lenses to examine and model systems, with the isentropic process representing an idealized, reversible transition and the polytropic process serving as a more generalized model capturing various specific thermodynamic processes.

Real World Applications

In the vast realm of thermodynamics, the isentropic and polytropic processes may initially seem like abstract concepts.

However, these processes lay at the heart of many real-world applications that power our modern world, from jet engines to refrigeration units.

Let's explore some practical scenarios where these two thermodynamic processes come into play.

Practical Applications of Isentropic Processes

Isentropic processes play a fundamental role in gas turbines and air-standard cycles. These cycles are theoretical constructs used to model internal combustion engines, gas turbines, and other heat engines.

1. Gas Turbines: The isentropic process is a key part of the Brayton cycle, which models the working of gas turbines. Here, the isentropic process manifests during the compression and expansion phases. For instance, when air is drawn into the gas turbine, it undergoes isentropic compression, and likewise, the high-temperature, high-pressure gas after combustion experiences isentropic expansion as it drives the turbine.

2. Steam Turbines: The principles of isentropic expansion are widely used in the design of steam turbines. In an ideal steam turbine, the expansion of steam occurs through an isentropic process. Any deviation from this process indicates inefficiencies, making the concept of isentropic efficiency a critical parameter for assessing turbine performance.

Real-World Examples of Polytropic Processes

The polytropic process' versatility makes it an excellent tool for modeling a variety of real-world thermodynamic transitions.

1. Gas Compressors: In industrial applications, polytropic processes are used to model the behavior of gas compressors. The gas compression often takes place over several stages, with each stage being a polytropic process. This allows for cooling between stages and provides a more accurate model compared to an isentropic process.

2. Refrigeration Cycles: Polytropic processes are also integral to the operation of refrigeration cycles. For instance, during the compression phase of the vapor-compression refrigeration cycle, the refrigerant undergoes a polytropic compression process. Understanding this process is crucial to optimizing the efficiency and performance of refrigeration systems.

3. Natural Gas Pipelines: In the field of natural gas transportation, the behavior of gas in pipelines can often be modeled effectively as a polytropic process. This helps in predicting pressure and temperature changes across the pipeline, ensuring safe and efficient operation.

I hope the difference is now clear to you. If you have any follow-up questions on the topic, let me know. I’ll ask our fellow engineers to help you.

Replies

• SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    In simple words,
    Isentropic process is one in which the entropy remains constant throughout.
    Polytropic process is one which obeys the law given below throughout the process.
    [​IMG]
    And the definition of entropy is very hard to explain.
  • VISHNUGOPAN
    VISHNUGOPAN
    A 'REVERSIBLE' adiabatic process is an Isentropic process. Here the term 'n' of[​IMG] is 1.4.
    🎉
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    In simple words,
    Isentropic process is one in which the entropy remains constant throughout.
    Polytropic process is one which obeys the law given below throughout the process.
    [​IMG]
    And the definition of entropy is very hard to explain.
    as far as i understand entropy is the rate of heat lost to the environment. is it not ?
  • SYED BASEERULLAH
    SYED BASEERULLAH
    zaveri
    as far as i understand entropy is the rate of heat lost to the environment. is it not ?
    Actually entropy is a disorder in state.greater the disorder lesser will be the work doing capacity. so , i think it matches with what u said
  • anjali zendre
    anjali zendre
    VISHNUGOPAN
    A 'REVERSIBLE' adiabatic process is an Isentropic process. Here the term 'n' of[​IMG] is 1.4.
    🎉
    "n" is a poly-tropic index.it's value is not fixed 1.4,it always lies between 1 and Gama. 1 i agree it is a reversible adiabatic process.
  • anjali zendre
    anjali zendre
    zaveri
    What is the difference between isentropic process and polytropic process ?
    isentropic process and polytropic process difference.
    1. isentropic is reversible adiabatic process.polytropic process is one of the proces of thermodynamic.
    2. isentropic perform [​IMG]. but polytropic perform [​IMG] ,pv reletion. here p is pressure in pascal. v= volume meret cube. and y=adiabatic index,and n= polytropic index.
    3. isentropic process only work transfer no heat transfer. but in polytropic heat and work both can be transfer.
    4.politropic index "n" always less then adiabatic index "y",but greater then 1.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    anjali zendre
    isentropic process and polytropic process difference.

3. isentropic process only work transfer no heat transfer. but in polytropic heat and work both can be transfer.
    can you give me an example for this ?
  • anjali zendre
    anjali zendre
    zaveri
    can you give me an example for this ?
    all sudden process are adiabatic process.because sudden processes don't give time to heat transfer so.no heat transfer is there.
  • anjali zendre
    anjali zendre
    reversible adiabatic compression and expansion perform in piston cylinder.in spark ignition engine,Otto cycle, we study about reversible adiabatic process.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hello i would like to have some example problems for estimation of quantities for a construction site i,e i am working in a construction company and i need to estimate...
Lenovo has launched two brand new laptops in India - Ideapad Y500 & Z500, priced Rs. 64,290 & Rs. 48,990 respectively. The Y500 is powered by Intel i7 processor, NVIDIA®...
Much awaited mini-SUV from FORD has been spotted in Mumbai, India. The car is expected to make an official debut in this year. Following snapshot was captured by Team-BHP team....
Hi, I wanted to let you know about a research study as I thought some of the people here could benefit from participating. Patexia is offering $3000 in a prior...
Visit the link: https://www.niiteducation.com/NITAT2...nology=NITAT&gclid=CJq03uPhoLUCFUwb6wod_G0AUA Last date to apply- 16th feb 2013 Test Date- 17th feb 2013