Difference between actual and visual rupture point?

hi friends, we are studying mechanics of materials. during the study of stress - strain diagram i encounter 1 point which still confuses me. please explain me that what is actual rupture point and what is visual rupture point on stress - strain diagram of material under testing.

Replies

• CE Designer
    CE Designer
    Do you mean true vs. engineering stress points?
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    yes certainly! i am talking about true and engineering stress point. but what is the relation between actual and visual rupture point with true and engineering stress points.
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    I am not certain, I have honestly never come across the terms actual and visual rupture point.
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    here is the picture attached so although from figure the actual and visual rupture point or true and engineering stress point are in same vertical line then what does it shoes?
  • CE Designer
    CE Designer
    OK Point 3 on the red graph is called the Engineering Stress (Visual) point.
    When the graph peaks at the Ultimate Tensile strength necking begins soon after. When necking sets in the cross-sectional area of the specimen is shrinking. The load bearing capacity is therefore reducing. This means that the force required to further strain the specimen is smaller.

Engineering Stress is calculated using the applied load divided by the original cross sectional area of the specimen (not the cross-sectional area of the necking region). So the Force required to strain is decreasing and the area is remaining the same (Stress = Force/Area) This is why the graph dips.

However the Actual Stress should be calculated using the instantaneous cross-sectional area , not the original. Since the area is decreasing the actual/true stress will be higher as shown at point 3 on the blue graph.

I Hope this helps you.
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    thank you very much. now i got the clear concept.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

air is an insulating medium ,then how it helps in communication?
C.J.Howard lost his foot to osteosarcoma. Nothing could put down the spirit of this runner. He ran with a prosthetic foot. He could not do equally well his other passion...
It has been estimated that the servers for internet consume 30 Billion Watts of energy of which 90% is wasted. “This is an industry dirty secret, and no one wants...
Ig-Nobel prizes are awarded by the American humorous magazine the Annals of Improbable Research, are an annual parody of the Nobel Prizes intended to "first make people laugh, and then...
Interface Methods have inbuilt functionality of being abstract and public (ie we do not neccessarily have to declare them Abstract / Public) Similiarily Interface Variables are Public, Static and Final!!...