Difference b/w microcontroller & microprocessor.....

Hai CEians, plz tel what is the difference b/w microcontroller and microprocessor ?...😀

Replies

• everett.pattison
    everett.pattison
    A micro controller contains a lot of the parts a normal computer would have inside it. Some of these parts are the microprocessor, RAM, ROM and EEPROM memory and even Analog to Digital converters and input/output pins for controlling peripheral devices. A computer usually has all the hardware for these separately while the micro controller incorporates all these into a single integrated circuit.

So I guess you could say a microprocessor is a part of a micro controller in a way.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    everett.pattison
    A micro controller contains a lot of the parts a normal computer would have inside it. Some of these parts are the microprocessor, RAM, ROM and EEPROM memory and even Analog to Digital converters and input/output pins for controlling peripheral devices. A computer usually has all the hardware for these separately while the micro controller incorporates all these into a single integrated circuit.

So I guess you could say a microprocessor is a part of a micro controller in a way.
    may be but not totally as micro controller has less ports compared to processor
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    check the discussions here for more information
  • everett.pattison
    everett.pattison
    narayana murthy
    may be but not totally as micro controller has less ports compared to processor
    #-Link-Snipped-#
    check the discussions here for more information
    Well yes, like most things, it can have more or less of something. But the basic idea is that micro controller has a smaller, less powerful processor than a computer microprocessor.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    everett.pattison
    Well yes, like most things, it can have more or less of something. But the basic idea is that micro controller has a smaller, less powerful processor than a computer microprocessor.
    Exactly and now a days MCU manufacturer are launching small size microcontroller with advanced features.
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    godfather
    Exactly and now a days MCU manufacturer are launching small size microcontroller with advanced features.
    wow i don't know it can you explain it bro please
  • P Santhosh Kumar
    P Santhosh Kumar
    its nice..
    now i got an idea 😒

.... Thank u sir..
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    narayana murthy
    wow i don't know it can you explain it bro please
    Like in 8051 microcontroller you don't have inbuilt ADC while now a days Microcontroller are available with low pin count and inbuilt ADC, Inbuilt Current and Voltage measurement which is useful in Energy Meter solutions.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    P Santhosh Kumar
    its nice..
    now i got an idea 😒

.... Thank u sir..
    No need So Thank you Us We all Ceans are here to help each other. have a happy time on CE.
  • venueee
    venueee
    micro controller the name it self we have it controlls ,i.e no need of external effort but micro processor can work with in our control only.......
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    godfather
    Like in 8051 microcontroller you don't have inbuilt ADC while now a days Microcontroller are available with low pin count and inbuilt ADC, Inbuilt Current and Voltage measurement which is useful in Energy Meter solutions.
    but i think all the modern micro controllers have all those features
    i think now a days manufactures are just thinking of improving capability but i got a doubt why can't we add more other advanced features other than adc and dac's
  • Morningdot Hablu
    Morningdot Hablu
    Hmm a nice thread to discuss the difference bet microprocessor and microcontroller.
    I want to add one difference that no one mentioned here.Actually in microcontroller you have the facility to access or perform operation on single bit(like you can write MOV A,P1 to transfer the bit on p1 to accumulator).But in the case of microprocessor u cant.In microprocessor you only can perform operation on byte/bytes.
  • maraitamilan
    maraitamilan
    microcontroller can be call it as microprocessor while the microprocessor cannot
  • praba230890
    praba230890
    ooohhh don't get confused by these answers....All u got to remember is that microcontroller's got memory in build with it whereas in processor it is not.....then after that only everything matters....
  • everett.pattison
    everett.pattison
    narayana murthy
    i think now a days manufactures are just thinking of improving capability but i got a doubt why can't we add more other advanced features other than adc and dac's
    Well there are more advanced features than that. Most micro controllers incorporate an RS232 style serial module in their devices now for communication between devices. Some of comparator modules, some of Pulse-Width-Modulation (PWM) modules, and some have interrupts.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    narayana murthy
    They have already implement lot of other modules also what i have said was just an example now a days Controller are available with internal I2C,SPI,RTC more than 2-3 Timer,ADC Channel,Current Channel,PWM,USB,CAN,LIN and many more.

Check this :- #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We all being Engineers have the habit of solving most of the problems using 'Calculator'. So, let us share the tricks to perform the basic calculations without making the use...
Hi I am Ist year EEE student and want to do a project during my summer vacations just to get a hands-on learning experience. Can you give me some suggestions?...
Please suggest some productive ways to spend Ist year summer vacations. I am EEE student , some of my batch-mates have decided to study some programming language in some institute....
is he Will Smith?? Image Upload !
Here's the full 'goodbye' letter written by N.R. Narayana Murthy to all the shareholders of the company. It touches Infy's journey and I believe it's a must read for all...