Diference between pressure and stress?

I wish to understand the real difference between pressure and stress? Isn't it one and the same thing?

Replies

• sweet_honey
    sweet_honey
    pressure is externaly applied on any body while the stress is internal resistance of the body
  • raika
    raika
    pressure is only give informatoin about force and area but stress give information about difomation also.
  • CKRao
    CKRao
    pressure is an externally applied force per unit area, while stress is internally developed in a material when forces are applied.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    pressure acts in all directions, but stress acts only in one particular direction(in the direction of application of force).
  • Ammar Aziz
    Ammar Aziz
    the above mentioned replies are good but you can also recognize the pressure as the 'CAUSE' and stress as the 'EFFECT'.
  • vignesh daniel
    vignesh daniel
    chandruvenkat
    difference between pressure and stress?
    pressure will act at one point in all direction and stress will act on particular area.
  • ARISTOTLEUC
    ARISTOTLEUC
    Though both pressure and stress are functions of force and area, pressure distinguishes itself from stress in that it causes the exertion of force in all direction in the given area, while stress accompanies the applied force in a direction opposite to that of the applied force in a given cross-sectional area.
  • vikaskumar11233
    vikaskumar11233
    Pressure is the external force acting over a unit surface area of a material. Stress is an internal force acting over a cross sectional area within the material.
  • chandruvenkat
    chandruvenkat
    but both hav a same unit?
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    chandruvenkat
    difference between pressure and stress?
    pressure is applied externally in any direction but stress is applied only in the opposite direction of force applied...
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    nibhani
    pressure is applied externally in any direction but stress is applied only in the opposite direction of force applied...
    stress is "induced" , not "applied"
  • nibhani
    nibhani
    zaveri
    stress is "induced" , not "applied"
    depends on ur analysis way it can be induced by itself and applied by resisting particle...

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I want to do a project on Pavement distress modelling and its integration with GIS. Please suggest me the methodology.
please describe me the difference between hydrulic and pneumatic brakes apart from water and air functioning definition. What are the major automotive applications of both. what are advantages and disadvantages...
HI, I am Reshma Ramakrishnan from Kerala.compleated my B-Tech in ECE from University of calicut.Currently am working in the technical department of Indus Towers Bangalore.I am not an intelligent girl...
Facebook stock fell again down to $23.81, a drop of 11.3 percent, bringing the social app to a new all-time low, and ripping about $3 billion from Mark Zuckerberg’s pocketbook...
Hi, what can one do if the voltage coming from yellow phase at times drops to 180v while the red and blue are 220.I need help since this make my...