diesel engine is heavier than petrol engine

can anyone explain why the diesel engine is heavier than petrol engine..

Replies

• JaaTBoYSliM
    JaaTBoYSliM
    Your typical 4 cycle diesel is turbocharged, fuel injected, and in america runs on low sulfur diesel. Most diesel's have a compression ratio of 22.5 to one or better, this additional compression requires a heavier casting in the vital area's surrounding and supporting the combustion chamber. It also is going to necessitate the use of a heavier crankshaft, bearings and journals, and heavier pistons and rings to attain/maintain compression. Diesel fuel does not burn like gasoline you can extinguish a cigarette in a cup of it (although not advised) Diesel will com bust quite easily at or above 22.5to one compression when the diesel is forced through a small orifice at high speed and pressure.
  • krishthd
    krishthd
    Diesel engines generally produce more power than petrol engines.To withstand the heavy stresses induced in machine parts, they r made of heavier elements.
    As said the compression ratio is also more so dont u think they shud b heavy strong..
    All diesel engines need not b turbocharged.
  • kumar_nitin
    kumar_nitin
    I really like mechanical engineering alongwith civil, but Unfortunately Iam a CS engineer..
    anyways, thank you Mr. Jaat boy for such an awsum explanation.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Nice answers, nothing more to add.
  • abhishek. sharma
    abhishek. sharma
    goooood ans. by mr jaatboy
  • JaaTBoYSliM
    JaaTBoYSliM
    kumar_nitin
    I really like mechanical engineering alongwith civil, but Unfortunately Iam a CS engineer..
    anyways, thank you Mr. Jaat boy for such an awsum explanation.

Well prateek .. How can I get #-Link-Snipped-# ?
  • Vega
    Vega
    Diesel engines run at high compression ratios causing very high pressure at the end of compression stroke. To withstand this pressure, diesel engine parts need to be heavy which makes it heavy and robust.
  • antenna
    antenna
    To have compression ratio as large as 22, we need to have a heavier flywheel to provide enough torque especially when we don't have the power stroke.
  • einstein89
    einstein89
    compression ratio of diesel engine is around 22.where as for petrol its around 9.
    higher compression ratio means higher mean effective pressure.higher temperature and high stresses for which the engine must be made highly rigid and strong.which is the main reason which increases its weight.its large,bulky but it sustains very high pressures.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    good ans by einstein89

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Check out this :- The Economic Times - Reader's Opinions
Please help me. I have not received my offline GATE acknowledgement card and I fear about it. Can I track it somewhere. Please do reply. Vibhor Mittal
hi guys, i am new to data warehousing, i want to know what exactly is xmla in data warehousing? and from where can i learn more about it, i am...
Hi, I am B.Tech student 3rd year IT and looking for summer training for 6-8 weeks during the months of may to july 2010 in Bangalore. Please let me know...
Source: IBM Research | Ponder This | November 2009 challenges What is the minimal number, X, of yes/no questions needed to find the smallest (but more than 1*) divisor of...