From the Archives
Archived discussions on CrazyEngineers

@bandral • 17 Nov, 2009
can anyone explain why the diesel engine is heavier than petrol engine..
@JaaTBoYSliM • 17 Nov, 2009 Your typical 4 cycle diesel is turbocharged, fuel injected, and in america runs on low sulfur diesel. Most diesel's have a compression ratio of 22.5 to one or better, this additional compression requires a heavier casting in the vital area's surrounding and supporting the combustion chamber. It also is going to necessitate the use of a heavier crankshaft, bearings and journals, and heavier pistons and rings to attain/maintain compression. Diesel fuel does not burn like gasoline you can extinguish a cigarette in a cup of it (although not advised) Diesel will com bust quite easily at or above 22.5to one compression when the diesel is forced through a small orifice at high speed and pressure.
@krishthd • 21 Nov, 2009 Diesel engines generally produce more power than petrol engines.To withstand the heavy stresses induced in machine parts, they r made of heavier elements.
As said the compression ratio is also more so dont u think they shud b heavy strong..
All diesel engines need not b turbocharged.
@kumar_nitin • 21 Nov, 2009 I really like mechanical engineering alongwith civil, but Unfortunately Iam a CS engineer..
anyways, thank you Mr. Jaat boy for such an awsum explanation.
@raj87verma88 • 21 Nov, 2009 Nice answers, nothing more to add.
@abhishek. sharma • 16 Jan, 2010 goooood ans. by mr jaatboy
@JaaTBoYSliM • 16 Jan, 2010
kumar_nitin
I really like mechanical engineering alongwith civil, but Unfortunately Iam a CS engineer..
anyways, thank you Mr. Jaat boy for such an awsum explanation.

Well prateek .. How can I get Jaatboyslim@crazyengineers.com ?
@Vega • 16 Jan, 2010 Diesel engines run at high compression ratios causing very high pressure at the end of compression stroke. To withstand this pressure, diesel engine parts need to be heavy which makes it heavy and robust.
@antenna • 16 Jan, 2010 To have compression ratio as large as 22, we need to have a heavier flywheel to provide enough torque especially when we don't have the power stroke.
@einstein89 • 23 Jan, 2010 compression ratio of diesel engine is around 22.where as for petrol its around 9.
higher compression ratio means higher mean effective pressure.higher temperature and high stresses for which the engine must be made highly rigid and strong.which is the main reason which increases its weight.its large,bulky but it sustains very high pressures.
@ShrinkDWorld • 26 Jan, 2010 good ans by einstein89

Related Posts

Archives

@Anil Jain · Apr 28, 2010

Thought of sharing a smal story with you all, I have received this in an e-mail from my friend: It was a Sports Stadium. Eight Children were standing on the...
Archives

@Morningdot Hablu · Apr 9, 2011

Hello friend's, In the last week i attended a seminar of Opendelight after that i have some talk with his CEO. Realy i amazed when he say that jsp is...
Archives

@computeridiot007 · Jul 6, 2010

Most of my questions are still didn't answered.Anyway this is my another query brothers I hope you will make it clear. how application software interact with system software. I have...
Archives

@Saurabh Mishra · Jul 1, 2014

Sir I am student of electronics & communication . I am interested in IT field.I wanted to make career in software testing but I hve some doubts. 1- Could ECE...
Archives

@satty lavanya · Sep 20, 2012

Hello, I am Satty from Vishakhapatnam. Can someone tell me about the dielectrics in capacitors? What is their role? How do they function?