Diesel engine in motorcycles

Question: Why don't we use diesel engine in motorbikes? Is there a problem with the design or it's that the diesel engines are too powerful for motorcycles?

Replies

• mechky
    mechky
    bernard james
    Why don't we use diesel engine in motor bikes???
    It has been used in some old Indian bikes. The one I remember is 'Rajdoot'. Also some bikes from Royal Enfield had diesel engines.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I asked the same question to my automobile professor, a couple of years back.

he said that diesel engines are heavier than petrol engines, and that would make the bike heavy and its handling difficult.

However bikes like royal enfield have diesel engines, and that has made them so heavy, that their gear-boxes are provided with reverse gear for easy manuvoeurability during parking
  • ganesh kalkutaki
    ganesh kalkutaki
    What is average of royal enfild? Only due to heavy weight it can not used?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    ganesh kalkutaki
    What is average of royal enfild? Only due to heavy weight it can not used?
    You do not have to be a hunk to use a royal enfield, but you should not be a weakling either.
  • Shyam Shankarvj
    Shyam Shankarvj
    Diesel engine capacity is more heavier than petrol engine. So in modern society likes less weight bike with more cc speed.
  • vivsk65
    vivsk65
    we can convert a petrol engine to the diesel engine by changing cylinder head
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    vivsk65
    we can convert a petrol engine to the diesel engine by changing cylinder head

No you can't. Because diesel engines and petrol engines are made up of different materials.
  • vivsk65
    vivsk65
    zaveri
    No you can't. Because diesel engines and petrol engines are made up of different materials.
    yes but the material sterngth of material use in petrol engine is more than the diesel engine,so we can use
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    vivsk65
    yes but the material sterngth of material use in petrol engine is more than the diesel engine,so we can use
    No its the vice-versa
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    diesel engine motorcycles will be great use for the armed forces all around the world.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    white_hat
    diesel engine motorcycles will be great use for the armed forces all around the world.

I think they are already being used there.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    zaveri
    I think they are already being used there.
    There is diesel engine bike developed in America,but don't know if they are part of their army.I don't think diesel bikes are used in Indian army.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    white_hat
    There is diesel engine bike developed in America,but don't know if they are part of their army.I don't think diesel bikes are used in Indian army.
    I think they are being used.
  • gohm
    gohm
    US Marines use a diesel motorcycle, a variant of the KLr650. (all USMC vehicles need to run on avgas) I think it might be available in Canada.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hey guys... i wuld lyk to tell u about the golden ratio... most of u all will be already familiar with it.. most of u all wuld hav read abt...
Looking for basic information on what is the efficiency of air compressor and how is it defined. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
Name:Lon *Engineering Trade: IT Location:Rochester NY *Occupation: Network Admin Work Experience: Used to do component level repair on printers, CRTs, even keybords for an automotive parts retail chain in SE...
According to Manmohan Singh's new plan, every family below poverty line will soon get a cell phone for free. Official announcement of the scheme (worth Rs. 7000 crore) is expected...
I am sharing a POTS line with a MFD device and an outgoing-only fax modem. The fax modem is on an unsupported RISC box with unsupported proprietary fax & ERP...