Did We Just Sell Your Data? Others Are Doing It!

I've just had a call with a representative of reputed institute in India. They were (or still are?) interested in advertising on CrazyEngineers and their request was that we sell all your email IDs to them for a cost (several thousand Rupees).

We denied saying it's against our policy and we respect our members' privacy. However, the representative insisted that since every other website they're dealing with is doing it, we should have not problems doing it as well.

The representative kept on repeating that selling user's data won't do any harm to users and it'll indeed benefit them. He mentioned that users won't care about their own privacy and don't mind their email ID was being shared and it made a good 'business sense' for us to sell your email IDs.

We denied and the deal was over. I'm saddened that this is how businesses are done in India. Neither the users care about their policy nor the 'buyers'.

What's your take on this?

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    True!

I accept your points Biggie!

Since, if we get useless emails from others we just delete it without even noticing them!

I appreciate your decision , thanks πŸ˜€
  • Pensu
    Pensu
    Shocking....we generally get a lot of useless mail daily and we ignore them just thinking our id was chosen randomly. Its sad to know people do that. Business is not about making money only. One should respect its members privacy.

Right decision Biggie...
  • Leo
    Leo
    Don't bother about others Biggie when you know you are right.
  • Deepika Bansal
    Deepika Bansal
    Yes I was aware of the fact that some people (or companies or web portals) sell our email Id for money and from there we get spams. I thought they are be some cheap persons. But shocked to know such take of reputed INSTITUTE.
    I mean they can play with our privacy just for their sole profit. πŸ˜”

Your decision is indeed appreciable Admin. You're really the best Admin we can have.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Kudos to you Biggie for doing that, sadly most websites like forums and social network sites do indeed sell this info. =(
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Now you know why he is called the 'Good Administrator'.

CE Rocks!
  • andyKane
    andyKane
    I respect your decision!!
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    I can understand you lost a little business.But believe me you will earn more biggie.I am happy and glad that you didn't bowed to them.Policy is policy.You are really good administrator............
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    You are a true entrepreneur biggie πŸ˜€ πŸ˜€
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I am seeing a Good Administrator and True Entrepreneur here who values and cares the ethics πŸ˜€
    Hats Off πŸ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your support, folks! Makes me feel I'm in the right company 😁 of awesome engineers.

The money we raise through advertisements on CE goes into running CE and expanding it. I've been on a meager salary for over 2 years now, that's drawn from the revenues CE generates. 😐

Let's hope we'll grow in revenues soon. Last week I've had call with president of Engineering.com, John Hayes regarding partnership.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    That is actually brilliant,You will earn a lot in long term πŸ˜€
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    AbraKaDabra
    Now you know why he is called the 'Good Administrator'.

CE Rocks!
    +1

honesty always rules in the end!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Thank you for your appreciation folks. I feel sad to see that there are tons of websites out there that sell your information to other parties and there are buyers! Be very careful when you use 'Facebook Connect' or create a general login on sites - you never know what they'll do with your data.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    users won't care about their own privacy and don't mind their email ID was being shared
    Did he really say that? I want to give him a piece of my mind.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    raj87verma88
    Did he really say that? I want to give him a piece of my mind.
    Yep, he did. But there's some truth in what he said. How many have really read Facebook's privacy policy?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well.. we could sell spammers IDs... *evil grin*
  • narayana murthy
    narayana murthy
    hmmmmm we are talking about selling details but what about hacking accounts
    i had observed as many of my friends accounts are hacked

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey friends, In this semester my project title is "Implementation of Minimal OSPF" That means implementing the link state routing protocol with some features of OSPF. We have to include...
IIT Mumbai (Bombay) has organized The Entrepreneur Summit 2011 on February 6, 2011. This year's speakers list includes - Mr. Shashi Ruia, Chairman, Esaar Group. Mr. Tulsi Tanti, Chairman, Suzlon....
Forget ASIMO with his awkward movements and non-expressive face. We now have the first of a kind robot with human spinal cord. The robot is developed by the evangelists at...
BSNL 3G offers great surprizes to me every time I use it. I've made a new discovery which is apparently correct. BSNL 3G download speed varies according to the file...
DRDO scientists are resigning from their job and joining Indian IT services. About 20 top DRDO scientists have quit to join the IT Industry in last 6 months. These scientists...