Diagnosing unsafe bridges with sound of rain?

Engineering team at Brigham Young University (BYU) have found that the sound of rain can help determining the overall health of the bridge. The engineers call the method, impact-echo testing which identifies the sound produced by the rain droplets when they hit the bridge. The sound can help determining the flaws in the design or structure which can't be discovered through visual inspection.

I'm curious to know how exactly this type of testing works and what are the technical / economical advantages this method offers. If anyone interested in reading more about this update, head over to: #-Link-Snipped-#

Would love to have comments from our Civil & Structural folks.

Replies

• Mayur Pathak
    Mayur Pathak
    Have you heard of the doppler effect? It is used to good effect in diagnosing chronic ailments in the body. A similar process is often used to detect whether a beam/ tower etc is fit or has it lived its age. This helps in timely demolition of the aging structures. Its a time frequency technique.

Use of rain drops is interesting but remains to be seen if it is accurate. Besides, are they saying that we wait for the rain to fall before we can decide whether the bridge is fit or unfit? Better we use a hand shower 😛

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Can anybody help me where I can get Magic voice calling for Micromax X600 model. It helps to change our voice while calling to others...
S.Korea's already invaded the world with their latest 'Gangnam Style' but next in the line is country's biggest startup event called beLaunch 2013. The event will take place between May...
Okay, I'm keeping this as anonymous poll with two most obvious choices the media is presenting. I think it will be interesting to see who do CEans favor among Mr....
During my engineering days, we all were convinced that the number of marks you obtain in any exam was directly proportional to the number of supplements (extra sheets of papers)...
The networking giant CISCO is getting ready to offload Linksys - maker of networking related products which is acquired for ~$500 million back in 2003. The company is said to...