@P.K.Mallick • 11 Jul, 2013 • 1 like
Is it required to provide development length for compression for column bars extending into footing?
@KSS Manian • 12 Jul, 2013
P.K.Mallick
Is it required to provide development length for compression for column bars extending into footing?
Sir, Happy to see you in CE. i had read many of your posts in SEFI.
By understanding the physics, there is no need for anchorage the column bars in footing in case of compression. Because the concrete itself take the compression.
May be it will help at the time of buckling, tensile force etc. other than the compressive force.
Correct me, if i am wrong?
@Jitendra Tiwari • 07 Feb, 2020

for safely transfer of load from column to footing it is necessary to provide development length.

Development length in compression = σ st φ/ 4(1.25) τ bd

@bill yorke • 08 Feb, 2020

The design is based on the reinforcement that achieves yield stress, therefore the reinforcement must be properly bonded to the concrete for a finite length to avoid slipping. This sufficient length to anchor bars close to the end of the connections is called the length of development, ld. The development length equation according to ACI 318 is presented here: 

LxLM-1581181817939.jpg

Related Posts

I thought of compiling a list of the coolest and the best whatsapp group names that you've been using for your respective groups. For the sake of convenience, we'll stick...
A simple good bye email or last working day mail ain't cool! We've some awesome templates that you can use. If you're looking for an amazing Last Working Day email...
Hello CEans, How to convert CGPA (10 Point Scale) to Percentage? Please help!
I heard many students are having a trouble registering on the TCS Portal, when it's quite straightforward actually. If you have problem in attaching photos or CV, Use internet explorer...
What is IES or Indian Engineering Services Exam? Union Public Services Commission (UPSC) conducts the Engineering Services Exam or ESE 2016 is an entrance exam for graduates who wish to...