Designing rack and pinion

Hi all,
I'm new here. Found this awesome site through google. I would like to know anything and everything about rack and pinion especially the FORMULAS when designing them. I know that it converts angular motion to linear motion.
Also, what are the facts I should know before designing the rack and pinion?

Thanks so much for the help.

Replies

• vincent_lwh
    vincent_lwh
    Someone please answer! I'm still waiting... Thanks guys!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, can we help Vincent? I'm sure you have answers to his queries.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    vincent_lwh
    Someone please answer! I'm still waiting... Thanks guys!
    Hi vincent_lwh ๐Ÿ˜€

Did you check the following thread. Please see if it can be of any help for you

#-Link-Snipped-#

[ PS: I found the above link in google while searching for vincent's query. ]
  • vincent_lwh
    vincent_lwh
    shalini_goel14
    Hi vincent_lwh ๐Ÿ˜€

Did you check the following thread. Please see if it can be of any help for you

#-Link-Snipped-#

[ PS: I found the above link in google while searching for vincent's query. ]
    Yes, I've already gone through it before. I've found that thread from google thus found this forum. I've search the web and google books but to no success. ๐Ÿ˜”

Zorif from the thread u mention did say something about a manual. But he has yet to post it. Can an expert in this field help me in this. I would really appreciate it. ;-)
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Hi vincent,

Here there are so many genius mechanical engineers. Why don't you just directly post your exact query ? For what kind of designs, you need formulae exaclty? May be you will find someone to help you out. ๐Ÿ˜€

All the Best !
  • vincent_lwh
    vincent_lwh
    okay, I'll try to ask them. But there are so many members (more than 20k). Most of them are not really active in this forum. But I'll do my part in asking some of them... (the mechanical engineers, I hope they reply). The question is still open to anyone who is willing to help.

Cheers.
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    vincent_lwh
    okay, I'll try to ask them. But there are so many members (more than 20k). Most of them are not really active in this forum. But I'll do my part in asking some of them... (the mechanical engineers, I hope they reply). The question is still open to anyone who is willing to help.

Cheers.
    Man, I didn't say to ask your questions directly to them . I meant to post your exact query here in this thread only. OK ๐Ÿ˜€
  • romka
    romka
    Hi.

There are basically two main ways to convert linear to circular motion (or the other way):

A rack the Gearing way with "Rack and Pinion" which follows most of the gearing rules and equations.
    The second way is the Power Screw which is simpler and cheaper most of the time. (but has other problems). The calculations is follows are basically the screw calculations and geometry.

Any Design Hand or Text book should have all the info you need in the respected chapters (Gears or screws).

If you'll ask more specific question maybe we will be able to help some more.

Cheers.
  • vincent_lwh
    vincent_lwh
    I thought I was specific already.
    Okay, I'll try to be more specific.
    In a rack and pinion design, what is the relationship/formula between the distance travel of the rack, the rotation angle of the pinion, the number of teeth of both rack and pinion?
    Am I missing out any more facts/details of the rack and pinion?
  • romka
    romka
    vincent_lwh
    I thought I was specific already.
    Okay, I'll try to be more specific.
    In a rack and pinion design, what is the relationship/formula between the distance travel of the rack, the rotation angle of the pinion, the number of teeth of both rack and pinion?
    Am I missing out any more facts/details of the rack and pinion?
    If you are interested just in the geometric relations then it should be fairly simple to derive.

Let assume:
    Round Gear of radius R, and N as the number of teeth.
    For rotation of "Alpha = a" deg we have a linear movement of 2*pi*R*a/360=L.

Ex:
    A pinion gear of R=100mm turns for 60 deg.
    What is the linear movement of the rack.
    Ans.
    2*3.14*100*60/360=104.72mm

You can make a calculation based on the number of teeth moved in a similar manner.
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    Formulas for Spur Gears are applicable.

Instead of two wheels, there is one wheel and a straight bar with spur teeth that will mesh.
    The circular dimensions of the pinion will change into linear dimensions of the rack eg. Circular pitch will become linear pitch. Visualize the straight rack as an arc of a wheel which has infinite radius.

Since the total formulas are big and many and will be clearer with proper diagrams and there are other things in the theory area(Lewis equation, contact stresses, surface stresses..etc) that you should read, therefore I recommend a visit to the library. I could not find much info on the net.
  • vincent_lwh
    vincent_lwh
    Thanks guys. Appreciate it.
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    A rack is a spur gear with infinite pitch circle diameter, theoretically. So the formulae for spur gears are applicable

follow this link for the formulae related to spur gears!!

Gear Design Equations and Formula | Circular Pitches and Equivalent Diametral Pitches Table

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Happy ENGINEERS DAY ...................๐Ÿ˜ I hope all CEans become one of the top most engineer in future..................๐Ÿ˜:smile:๐Ÿ˜›๐Ÿ˜€๐Ÿ˜
A reader wonders what the next letter in the following series should be: O T T F F S S E ... Can I count on you to help them...
Haretown and Tortoiseville are 66 miles apart. A hare travels at 9 miles per hour from Haretown to Tortoiseville, while a tortoise travels at 2 miles per hour from Tortoiseville...
[FONT="]Hey Check out ds Coolest Gadget : [/FONT]
If 23 = 15 54 = 36 83 = 33 Then 43 = ? -CB