Designing Oscilloscope/Function Generator combo

I have an altera DE2 development board and wanted to create an oscilloscope and function generator. This is more for learning experience/enjoyment so they don't have be entirely accurate. I'm not sure where to start, but wanted to find some good documents on how each instrument works. Most of what I'm finding is how to use each instrument more so than the intricacies of each. For the oscilloscope I found some information digital sampling oscilloscope but still not clear enough.

If anyone has any good information or tips to give that would be a big help. Thanks.

Replies

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Which microcontroller you are using of ALTERA? As you want to make Oscilloscope or Function Generator you need precise ADC and DAC. and have you decided the LCD you are using there are some small size Graphic LCDs are available.
  • LCD_Display
    LCD_Display
    The Altera DE2 board has an FPGA. The development board has built in sram,sdram, and flash. I know there is an ADC and DAC but I don't there exact specs of the top of my head. There are also general input/output pins. Plus there is a 16x2 LCD screen. On a high level I was thinking of using the pins to take samples from an outside signal store it in memory.

I also have, an MSP430 micrcontroller and seperate 16x2 LCD screen. I would have to get the ADC and DAC though.

I wanted to use the development board because it has most of the parts (I think) that I woudl need and learn VHDL while I am designing, but I didn't think of using a micrcontroller. Chances are after I finish designing use one I'll try the other.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Like an Oscilloscope you need some LCD which can show the waveforms, How can you use 16x2 for waveform?
  • LCD_Display
    LCD_Display
    Well if I am limited to a single LCD, not much. I suppose I could get a couple and hook them in series together. Maybe get four, or see if I can get a single large lcd.That would allow me to display sine,triangle, etc. waves. 1st and 4th lines would be peak amplitudes. This is actually great, I like how your the one asking me questions. I wasn't sure where to get started but this helps out a lot more than you telling me what to do.
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    LCD_Display
    Well if I am limited to a single LCD, not much. I suppose I could get a couple and hook them in series together. Maybe get four, or see if I can get a single large lcd.That would allow me to display sine,triangle, etc. waves. 1st and 4th lines would be peak amplitudes. This is actually great, I like how your the one asking me questions. I wasn't sure where to get started but this helps out a lot more than you telling me what to do.
    I know that 16x2 and 20x4 LCD are available but its not suitable to display a waveform on LCD.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Just found this forum. Maybe I'll find some friends to help out here. I quit my job doing reverse engineering, troubleshooting, and design of small electronics (military grade mostly) a...
Download the Free Online Mock Aptitude Test Question PDFs here:
Quote: A major hindrance to the development of many regions is the lack of available fresh drinking water. Climate is a huge factor in this crisis, as some regions often...
It looks like Google is having a hard time getting users to its new social network called Google Plus. Google, although a major online company, is reverting to print media...
The news is making rounds on the Internet once again. It seems that Microsoft is preparing to take over the web company of the 90s - Yahoo! Inc. Several months...