Designing an automobile from scratch

While doing this, which would be the first subsystem, that would be designed ?

well everyone may say that it is the chassis frame.

but the real answer is the suspension system.

Can anyone justify this ?

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Maybe, when the suspension is designed first, then a mathematical model involving the spring-mass-damper system is created and evaluated.

by doing this, the values of spring stiffness and damping co-efficient is obtained.

what are your takes ?
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    How do you design the suspension system without knowing the total weight of the chassis?
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    I think we should start from inside out. First start with the number of seats and build
    a car around it.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-#

obviously the total weight of the chassis will never be known, but an assumption can be made such as:

the (chassis weight + the weight of all subsystems + the total weight of all the passengers + the weight of payload ) * 1.2 times this weight as factor safety.

this value can always be changed as we move ahead with our designing process, since the entire process is an iterative one.
  • white_hat
    white_hat
    What is the advantage in designing suspension system at first.Does it make any difference, does it make the whole designing process easy?
    Am not trying to argue with you , just for the sake of knowing it.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    to be honest, the same thing confuses me.

according to me, the first part which should be designed is the chassis frame, but then some guys in my class who had just attended a workshop, told me that the designing should from start from the suspension. but he couldn't justify it either. so i wondered if any experienced CEan can throw more light on this.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is the difference between Stud bolt and through bolt?
Just around the corner is my 1st ever semister exam under WBUt board. Things been so busy lately. to tell the truth even since i began going to engineering college,...
Steve Clayton writes on his blog that he tells people he has got one of the best jobs at Microsoft - I get the opportunity to meet and talk with...
😕 Which book to read for better concept in electronic and communication? Please help...
Hii, friends. can anybody tel me what is the physical significance of moment and couple? What is the meaning of direction and sense in right hand thumb rule in moment...