Design of sterling engine.

I hope most of you here know its working principle.

Now considering, that a sterling engine has to be built, to run a fan, and the input heat energy is in the form of solar radiation. the cylinder, piston, etc are all sheet metal components.

now what are the design factors that should be considered ? and what will be the various design formulas to be used.?

some of them i think are fan torque, engine speed, and temperature of the cylinder.

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    no takes on this ?
  • marvin
    marvin
    Hallo Zaveri,
    i´m a litle surprised you think about to turn a fan with a stirlingmotor. you will neet to mediums with a good diverent temperature to get a strilingmotor run with good pover. If you neet a fan i think it will be very warm wehre you are. (i´m from germeny, mosttime not wery warm 😔, where are you from?)
    An easy way for a smal fan is to bay a model of a stirlingmotor (100-150€) and put a propeller on it.
    Or do you want to bild a bigger fan? For what? Only to have fun with it? Do you want to bild the stirling by your self (there is an easy way i can look for a pikture, pherhaps bild together, im interested in Stirlingmotors too)
    I´m thinking of making a striling motor to use the waste temperature to heat my house and the pover of the motor to make elektrisity ore to make heat with a thermal pump.

have fun, greetings marvin.

P.S. have you read douglas adams?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    marvin
    Hallo Zaveri,
    i´m a litle surprised you think about to turn a fan with a stirlingmotor. you will neet to mediums with a good diverent temperature to get a strilingmotor run with good pover. If you neet a fan i think it will be very warm wehre you are. (i´m from germeny, mosttime not wery warm 😔, where are you from?)
    An easy way for a smal fan is to bay a model of a stirlingmotor (100-150€) and put a propeller on it.
    Or do you want to bild a bigger fan? For what? Only to have fun with it? Do you want to bild the stirling by your self (there is an easy way i can look for a pikture, pherhaps bild together, im interested in Stirlingmotors too)
    I´m thinking of making a striling motor to use the waste temperature to heat my house and the pover of the motor to make elektrisity ore to make heat with a thermal pump.

have fun, greetings marvin.

P.S. have you read douglas adams?
    THANKS MARVIN

i just want to build a sterling motor to run a small sheet-metal-constructed fan blade.

i have heard that once the entire cylinder of the engine heats up then the engine stalls because then temperature equilibrium is attained, and then there is no temperature differential of air which would facilitate the piston movement.

So i decided that the best way to avoid this stalling would be to provide cooling to one of the regions of the cylinder, (as you too have mentioned in your post) so that the temperature differential remains.

My only aim is to create a sterling motor which employs the above said principle and keeps on running. what it powers is not a big thing, so i decided that the driven machine would be a low power consuming device like a fan.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi guys, I now want to begin my final year's computer science project and I would like to do something that combines website designing and elearning, can you please suggest...
hi techies, Can anybody tell me how to escape strings in java to avoid sql injection? like for input string : "abc" i want output string as \"abc\"
Is possible to develop a new web server for all web technology? That mean, we want to use wamp server for php scripts, Apache tomcat server for jsp, and IIS...
my self monu,working as software engineer in noida
Hello Everyone, I am Teja from Hyderabad. Currently, I am working with Intense Technologies @ Hyd, as a DB2 Data Base Admin . I completed my Masters in Instrumentation and...