Design of Hollow Sections

How does the design equation vary for hollow sections such as cylindrical pipe (under tension or compression) vary from the design of solid sections. Normally you would calculate the stress using the cross-sectional area. But with pipes, is it as simple as just using the surface area provided by the wall thickness or is there some other factor to consider?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    The basic equation is T/J= G*theta/L=Tau/R.

T=Torque,
    J=Polar Moment of Inertia
    G=Modulus of rigidity,
    theta=angle of twist,
    L=Length of beam or section,
    Tau= Shear stress
    R= Maximum/ Outer Radius
    Here everything is same but polar moment of inertia varies with cross-section.

If, you are considering pressure vessels, try calculating Hoop stress and Longitudinal streee, (PD/2t) and (PD/4t) respectively.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    #-Link-Snipped-# said it all.

but however various sections have various properties. for example I-sections have good tensile and compressive strengths, but has poor resistance to twisting moments.

circular sections have good shear strength, and bending moment.
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    also, if a cylindrical solid machine member acted upon by axial forces (tension or compression), is to be replaced by a hollow cylindrical member, then it is just enough to ensure that stress acting is lesser than the ultimate stress of the material.

for a solid cylindrical member under tension, the stress equation will be:

tensile stress = load / ((pi/4))*diameter^2

for a hollow cylindrical member under tension, the stress equation will be:

tensile stress = load / ((pi/4))*(outer diameter^2 - inner diameter^2)

now it is the designer's choice to select the correct inner and outer diameters.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I m a cs engineering student in Integral university lko,its my third year n m worried abt my future 2 be!.. i love programmng ..n as an engineer i want...
Is it possible to transmit data through a webcam (or a cmos cam) a receive it, feed to it a DSP kit for processing? (over a range of 100m or...
Hi I m ravi. Currently i m working in wipro techonology.I am not satisfied with my job.I have 2+year experience . Should i quit job for GATE preparation.? I want...
we know 4 cases in doppler effect... 1.transmitter and receiver stationary-no frequency change 2.transmitter moving (away or towards the receiver) & receiver stationary 3.receiver moving (away or towards the transmitter)...
What happen if we rotate the conductor anticlockwise instead of clockwise for starting the generators?