Design for detachable rear wheel of a motorcycle?

I remember my friends and I were on a short-range bike trip during our college days and one of the smarter asses among us thought it was an incredible idea to do some off-roading. About 2 kilometres off the road and one of the bikes got a puncture in the rear tyre. We quickly decided to attend it all by ourselves because we hadn't seen any repair-man during our journey in the last 30 minutes.

That was the first time I realised that taking out the rear wheel of the motorcycle (Hero Honda Splendor) wasn't an easy task. But there was no other way for us to take out the tyre tubes. Finally we had to drag the motorcycle for about 2 kilometres and get the puncture fixed.

I'm not sure whether the motorcycle designs have changed in the last decade. I believe it's still a bit difficult to take out the rear tyre of the motorcycle. Can the system be modified to make the whole process incredibly easy?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Great thought sir.I dent think its impossible to do it and i believe that Both of the tyres should be detachable so that other would be easy to change front tyre puncture also.
    Ok lets put this way.Things we have to look for possibility.
    1)Transmission (chain sprocket should be little modified to accommodate this change ) in case of rear wheel .
    2)Change in braking design.
    So these are the major changes required for your idea.
    Any other changes required ah?
  • zaveri
    zaveri
    I don't think it is that difficult to remove the rear wheel. All that you need is the correct tools and some skill.

I have done off-roading on two bikes (splendor and honda activa). and in both cases the vehicles suffered a puncture in the rear wheel. in both cases i easily managed to remove the rear wheels, by myself. (obviously punctures don't take place exactly outside the mechanic's shop.)

but what is really difficult is to fix back the wheel, along with the brake systems.

As for the innovation part, i can think of a new design at the moment. It has to be noted, that if you make bikes whose wheels can be detached and re-attached so easily, then it may become dangerous, because such wheels may come off easily, without warning while driving
  • Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    zaveri
    I don't think it is that difficult to remove the rear wheel. All that you need is the correct tools and some skill.

I have done off-roading on two bikes (splendor and honda activa). and in both cases the vehicles suffered a puncture in the rear wheel. in both cases i easily managed to remove the rear wheels, by myself. (obviously punctures don't take place exactly outside the mechanic's shop.)

but what is really difficult is to fix back the wheel, along with the brake systems.

As for the innovation part, i can think of a new design at the moment. It has to be noted, that if you make bikes whose wheels can be detached and re-attached so easily, then it may become dangerous, because such wheels may come off easily, without warning while driving
    Detachable wheels doesn't means it was uncontrollable and dangerous.Let us consider a F 1 car wheel which can be easily removable and not dangerous .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Datawind, the popular Aakash tablet & UbiSlate manufacturer in India, is here with a brand new category of launch. Yes, entering the low-budget smartphone segment in the country, Datawind has...
A lot of students are made in-charge of conducting an Industrial tour/Industrial visit to various IT and core companies as a part of their 3rd year or 4th & final...
I have been watching a lot of debates going on the television regarding this topic. Lots of people have actually benefited from this treatment from various diseases like cancer, respiratory...
Any body has any idea about the best green engineering firms across the world? If an engineering graduate is interested in R&D or production projects related to green engineering, which...
Do you think every startup must have an exit strategy - which mostly is acquisition by a bigger player interested in the domain or going for an IPO? That's how...