Design and implementation of a wall painting machine using rollers

Hi. i have always seen painting systems using sprayers to paint cars, objects and buildings, etc. so i am wondering if implementation of an automatic wall painting machine is possible, using water-based paints. more eco-friendly.

the machine would be initially positioned in front of a flat vertical wall and when the system is started, the roller would move up and down, reciprocatingly and paint being fed on the roller. it paints a fixed surface area,depending on the roller length, then move to next area- considering overlapping (approximately 5cm).

any idea guys how to achieve the reciprocating motion? rack and pinion, belt, chain and sprocket.

ideas and designs are the most welcome.

Replies

• Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    how about using linear actuators??
  • satanas
    satanas
    linear actuators?? how?? i would like some more information about it.. well, linear actuators in the vertical plane. wat will happen if power goes off?? also, i have seen that in the vertical axis, you can't have big loads for this kind of mechanism- it will be more economical to use pair of rollers instead of 1, thus your paint feed system will be proportionate to the num of rollers you use--> increase your load..

chains and belts are simpler for the reciprocating motion..use dc motor and reverse it using relays and limit switches or the famous H-bridge..

but the length of stroke will be limited..assume you can paint only 1.5 m with a prototype.. how to make extend it to paint upper surfaces while the system is designed to be on wheels, i.e. it can move to next surface area autonomously?? a real problem!!

ideas WANTED real quick guys!!

anyway, can you guys suggest wat sensors would be required while moving along the wall?? i thought of adding 2 arms with 1 free wheel on each arm.. they make contact with the wall, hence keeping a fixed distance bewteen platform and wall without the need of sensors n feedback to maintain that distance..( i think i might have to add sensors to detect if the wheels are really in contact with wall or not!! when it moves to next area to be painted).. what sensors would be best to detect wall distance, openings along direction of travel and obstacles along travel?

regards, satanas
  • 4d1
    4d1
    satanas
    any idea guys how to achieve the reciprocating motion? rack and pinion, belt, chain and sprocket.

ideas and designs are the most welcome.
    how about using cam and follower ?
  • gohm
    gohm
    why not use spray guns for this application too? I think that would be easier and more cost effective then robotic arms using rollers.
  • satanas
    satanas
    hi 4d1,

won't the length of strokes be dependent on cam diameter?

if it can paint a wall of 3m-approximately 1.9m without extension, plz give me more info.

thx
  • satanas
    satanas
    hi gohm,

i have considered spray guns but am using normal water-based paint.. can it work?
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes, you can use that meathod for acrylic paints. They make over the counter machines you can purchase.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

What is mean by multistack in datastructure? Please give me the concept of multistack.
Please give my program for multistack using single array😕
Hi there guys, my name is VISHAKH you can call me SHOCKY. I'm doing my mechanical engineering in SBMJCE bengalooru INDIA. Hope you all can help me with my questions...
HI to all.. My question is .. What is the equivalent Q factor of self resonating coil which has a parasitic lumped capacitance C0? 😲 Mind well the coil has...
my friend asked me this question..... "what is the difference between structural designer and structural consultant?"😕 hope some of you come up with a clear answer to this question. i...