Democracy In India Is A Joke - Agree Or Disagree

I've often wondered why did India go to the World Bank for loans in the first place after it got the 'so called' Independence in 1947. I stumbled upon following lecture by Arvind Kejariwal; it's in English (sans first few seconds) and worth listening to:

Replies

• Shreyas Sule
    Shreyas Sule
    Its De"Mock"racy here in India!
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I still remember my school-day question.

Q. What is Democracy?
    ...and my answer is
    A. By the people, For the people and To the people.
    Example : INDIA.
    Now I want to modify my answer slightly.
    A. By some people, For some people and To some people.

Great speech, Worth watching. Thanks for sharing it, Bigk.

And yeah, why Indian Government is going for world bank loan?

I want to tell you all one example.
    I'm from Andhra Pradesh and from the past few years its really like a hell here due to various reasons. No jobs, No growth, No projects for IT companies, No profits nothing. But we've lots of strikes, bundhs, problems. There are various reasons behind them.

-> Do you really believe; 80% students of Andhra Pradesh are perusing their Btech, M.tech, Bsc, BCA, MCA and all the graduation & post graduation courses with free of cost; No fees at all through out their education. Yes the Government pays all that fees for all the candidates to the college. Recently Government announced that they gonna release all the pending amount of 1200+ crores to the colleges. That's the one year money of only some colleges .
    Can you really imagine how much the government is spending for this only project? Tons and tons of crores. And our government takes all that money from the Central Government and the Central Government from World Bank.

And many more 1 Kg Rice for Rs.1/-, Free Houses, Free sites and all.

Who asked the Government to do all these? If the Government has a huge money to spend, its Okay. But What's the need of taking the Loan with Interest from world bank and giving for free here. Actually the Government is making people Lazy by giving all the things free. It'll be good if they show/give a chance for the people to earn money instead of giving things free like donating for beggars.
    Every project they implement will give them lots of money because they only spent 50-60% of money for the project and the remaining... as we know.

Andhra pradesh is always the first state in the list asking the Central Government for money ๐Ÿ˜”
  • K!r@nS!ngu
    K!r@nS!ngu
    Sada
    I still remember my school-day question.

Now I want to modify my answer slightly.
    A. By some people, For some people and To some people.

Great speech, Worth watching. Thanks for sharing it, Bigk.

And yeah, why Indian Government is going for world bank loan?

I want to tell you all one example.
    I'm from Andhra Pradesh and from the past few years its really like a hell here due to various reasons. No jobs, No growth, No projects for IT companies, No profits nothing. But we've lots of strikes, bundhs, problems. There are various reasons behind them.

-> Do you really believe; 80% students of Andhra Pradesh are perusing their Btech, M.tech, Bsc, BCA, MCA and all the graduation & post graduation courses with free of cost; No fees at all through out their education. Yes the Government pays all that fees for all the candidates to the college. Recently Government announced that they gonna release all the pending amount of 1200+ crores to the colleges. That's the one year money of only some colleges .
    Can you really imagine how much the government is spending for this only project? Tons and tons of crores. And our government takes all that money from the Central Government and the Central Government from World Bank.

And many more 1 Kg Rice for Rs.1/-, Free Houses, Free sites and all.

Who asked the Government to do all these? If the Government has a huge money to spend, its Okay. But What's the need of taking the Loan with Interest from world bank and giving for free here. Actually the Government is making people Lazy by giving all the things free. It'll be good if they show/give a chance for the people to earn money instead of giving things free like donating for beggars.
    Every project they implement will give them lots of money because they only spent 50-60% of money for the project and the remaining... as we know.

Andhra pradesh is always the first state in the list asking the Central Government for money ๐Ÿ˜”
    I agree with you sada, but wanted to tell you one thing:

Yes politicians corrupted in our state and in our country, but the re-embersement scheme and Indiramma ration scheme(1 rupee KG rice) helped some poor people to fullfill their dreams.
    These politicians eating crore's and crore's of money in every project and schemes they are releasing.... what's wrong in spending a 1 lack rupees for a poor student's four year's of education. I personally know, three of my friends who fulfilled their dream of doing engineering with this scheme by our late CM Rajashekara reddy. They can spend money for this without taking loan from World bank also if they can plan accordingly, but they already ate all the money from Gov't khazana.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    K!r@nS!ngu
    What's wrong in spending a 1 lack rupees for a poor student's four year's of education.
    There is nothing wrong in that. But they should see the consequences of any project before they gonna implement. See now, 80% of students are going for free education. Do you think really those 80% are very poor who can't pay their fee? Absolutely No.

-> The people who are capable to pay the fee were also applying for fees re-embersement.
    -> Even the colleges are showing fake accounts(Ex :1500 instead of their original count 1000) and asking the government to pay the fees.
    -> And the politicians grab their shares from the project money.
    -> Only because of this fees re-embersement each and every student is joining in B.tech, M.tech and coming out in a huge count which results an Unemployment.
    -> The students are studying with the Government's money and not their's. Do those students really caring about their Education?
    ---and many more...

So instead of all these, why should Government help the poor family by showing/giving some 'source of income', So that they can earn on their own and can pay their fee on their own.
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    @Pallavi Fee-embarrassment is very good idea, many poor are getting helped, which were there in many other countries as well but it was given on merit (as it should be given on) but it was just the idea is good and the usage is bad, which is the making the idea bad as well.

When a subsidy was given for poor then it will always can be appreciated as it lead to development of National GDP by providing education and job opportunities to many poor. The biggest positive to continue those subsidies were that, "If even one can get an opportunity then why not continue it for the good of the them." Okay, in it that case, it looks fine, very good even though the rich gets benefited because of that, but the problem lies when the others prices are also raised showing the same reason. Here, by providing a subsidy to poor for studying his education, the government had given funds to poor but with that many others were also benefited and hence, the idea was utilized by those other than that which is making the other prices go up. Now the condition is, "A poor can study but cannot eat as he normally does."

Kiran was also right, in his case, politicians are eating crore's of money, why not provide 1 lack for poor? Now, the question is are we legalizing corruption by providing subsidies to poor, which is also becomes a question. In that case. If the above said word, "Corruption." can be seriously controlled then I bet there will be no need for any subsidy for entire nation to live, study and to develop but the line itself is almost next to impossible.

At present case, as long as it goes well without rise of prices, it will look good but with simultaneous rise of prices, it won't be a matter for those who are studying with free re-embarrassment and getting 1 rupee rice(it stinks though) but the future will become a question when it all goes out of hands with only solution leaving behind(bringing the black currency back.)

Note: Here it's not only the mistake of people, not eligible but using the facility because they are getting benefited (who won't do if they're getting benefited). It's the job of government to have control in its schemes and also the responsibility of many others who're getting benefited as well.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    @Dileep -
    Agreed. Every coin has 2 sides. I'm looking at one side and you are looking at the other ๐Ÿ˜€

Mr.Don
    @Pallavi Fee-embarrassment is very good idea, many poor are getting helped, which were there in many other countries as well but it was given on merit (as it should be given on) but it was just the idea is good and the usage is bad, which is the making the idea bad as well.
    First of all I'm not saying that the idea was bad. My point is before implementing any idea/project/subsidy why the Government don't care about the consequences? If the MROs were strict at giving Income certificates to the students this hell would not happen like this. Am I right?

When a subsidy was poor then it will always can be appreciated as it lead to development of National GDP by providing education and job opportunities to many poor. The biggest positive to continue those subsidies were that, "If even one can get an opportunity then why not continue it for the good of the them."
    Very nice. If the leaders really want to improve the poor and looking over GDP they should have seriously implement this. They'll not allow rich to grab the poor people's amout. Tell me did all the poor people really got their own Indiramma houses?

Okay, in it that case, it looks fine, very good even though the rich gets benefited because of that, but the problem lies when the others prices are also raised showing the same reason. Here, by providing a subsidy to poor for studying his education, the government had given funds to poor but with that many others were also benefited and hence, the idea was utilized by those other than that which is making the other prices go up. Now the condition is, "A poor can study but cannot eat as he normally does."
    Yeah this is the very right point I want to say. Giving 1kg Rice for Rs.1/- is fine, I won't comment on that. But what's the hell increasing the prices in huge for all other food items. Is the Government really helping the poor here?

Kiran was also right, in his case, politicians are eating crore's of money, why not provide 1 lack for poor? Now, the question is are we legalizing corruption by providing subsidies to poor, which is also becomes a question. In that case. If the above said word, "Corruption." can be seriously controlled then I bet there will be no need for any subsidy for entire nation to live, study and to develop but the line itself is almost next to impossible.
    Hence what I'm saying is how about helping the poor offering 'Source of Income', so that they can earn on their own.

Note: Here it's not only the mistake of people, not eligible but using the facility because they are getting benefited (who won't do if they're getting benefited). It's the job of government to have control in its schemes and also the responsibility of many others who're getting benefited as well.
    How the government can control? The ministries are benefiting a lot from this kind of subsides.

My opinion is Free givings/offerings are always not good. They won't stay for long.
    Democracy is just a joke word. Most of the things are not going on with public interest.

Shall we put an end to these arguments for the sake of good? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    #-Link-Snipped-# Arguments are there for the sake of good and I'm not against your words actually, As we know nothing is free in this world, even though they're natural sources. My conclusion is that there must be subsidy's for poor(for their development as well, in this caste studded government!) and if they're saying that they're giving those subsidies then it must not effect our national's GDP(It means they must be in a position that they can actually give a subsidy) so that everyone will get benefited in a good manner.

Democracy is not a joke, unless we give it up. We had thrown away the facilities. We forget to speak, we forget to question and we forget to fight for one and one only good reason, money! Here, every one wants it and who cares about speaking rubbish about Problems.

Demos = people and Cracy = Rule and according to your answer,

Q. What is Democracy?
    ...and my answer is
    A. By the people, For the people and To the people.
    Yes, it's absolutely true, it's not just a line describing democracy. It's a word to representing Indian government status and as a nation India is proud to be Democratic. It represents our nations integrity, sovereignty and fraternity. India is proud because it's a nation with 120 crore's of people who're democrats and can elect the person that's going to rule their own country. We can speak whatever we want and can decide our nations journey to success but we forget to speak to question, fight to right and to take decisions to rule because we became timid, afraid of our own. Our opponents were strong, powerful and are growing by our own hands. We're afraid to be blamed and to accept our timidness. We never was one except in the case of August 15th, 1947 (I doubt it though!) but imagine with unity even the strongest enemy will bite dust. It was Anna Hazare's thought to fight against corruption but it almost bought brittle's to government. If everyone was dedicated as Anna's against corruption then it would have been a different story all together. "India is huge country, we cannot speak when cannot fight and we cannot fight when we're not together and this goes until someone stands up for us." What makes people and what makes a nation to be democratic. It's in us, a part of us and it depends on how we use of rights.

Democracy is a word representing our National Pride, not a joke as it'll never be, if some one says so then it means that they don't know what they are talking about. It's not the word of joke or humor, "Its the people who're actually calling democracy a joke are actually joking."
  • Mr.Don
    Mr.Don
    Sorry for re post! Hence Disagree.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hey guys I tried a lot for finding the answer key for the last 10 yrs isro papers.If anyone finds it just upload it or post the link.
Have you ever wondered how the design pattern on the tire contribute to the road grip? I've had this question in my mind for long time and I stumbled upon...
"Innovese"is a student start-up from BITS-Pilani founded in 2009. It provides software-solution consultancy, web-app development, ERPs, customized software, e-marketing consultancy and graphic design among others. According to their pamphlet at...
hi I wanted to install Ubuntu alongside Windows XP. So I make the partition and do the installation through the CD. While installing there was a step where we need...
I would like to know more about doing MBA by distance education. Currently I am doing my final year of engineering. As i have already got placed and not interested...