Delivering video over slower connections

The common problem most of us face is that we have to wait for long time to play the videos on YouTube.

I'm wondering if there's a solution to this problem that will enable us to stream videos faster on slower Internet connections.

What do you think? Any crazy ideas?

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Correct me if wrong but what is "SpeedBit Video Accelerator" for?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Never heard of it. What does it do? and how?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Never heard of it. What does it do? and how?
    Not an issue. Check #-Link-Snipped-# if can be of any help. I have never used it. I have only heard it.

PS: Don't forget to share reviews back here. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    shalini_goel14
    Not an issue. Check #-Link-Snipped-# if can be of any help. I have never used it. I have only heard it.

PS: Don't forget to share reviews back here. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Well, not bad. Looks good.

But the pitious part is, it doesn't work with firefox 3. It works only with firefox 2 and before. And with IE, it's fine.

So I had to test it with IE. Seems fine. Though, not a great enhancement in speed. Just a small difference in the speed. The number of freezes and stuck up moments are less. That's it.

They say this is from the guys that developed Download Accelerator Plus. Some tech by which they stream from more than one connection, so it gets sped up..
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Oh well, if all else fails, just download the video directly like a normal file using a download manager (such as FDM).. its always faster than streaming. Of course, you'll be limited by your actual bandwidth. Can't fight that ๐Ÿ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Come on guys, I thought we'd have CS hardcore folks brainstorm over a new compression technique or something.

Short-cuts don't (always) lead to innovation :neutral:
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, CS people! Bring out the compression algorithms!

*communication guy hides in the corner*
  • safwan
    safwan
    cant we use bittorrent or utorrent !!!
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    I dont understand the question first. Whether,You are asking for a client or for a server side in which the compression stuffs plays important role?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    ms_cs
    I dont understand the question first. Whether,You are asking for a client or for a server side in which the compression stuffs plays important role?
    There is nothing to understand in question . You read about MPEG technique right? He is simply asking to make changes in it such that videos tutorials if he will make for CEans can work on slower connections right? ๐Ÿ˜› Ha ha !

"CS HARDCORE FOLKS" ??Ha ha ! Where are you all -Sleeeping ? Good, Sleep Sleep ๐Ÿ˜›
  • ms_cs
    ms_cs
    shalini_goel14
    There is nothing to understand in question . You read about MPEG technique right? He is simply asking to make changes in it such that videos tutorials if he will make for CEans can work on slower connections right? ๐Ÿ˜› Ha ha !

"CS HARDCORE FOLKS" ??Ha ha ! Where are you all -Sleeeping ? Good, Sleep Sleep ๐Ÿ˜›
    I see. If this is the case means , top is MPEG , and next is flash and next is quicktime format.Am I right?
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    lol @ shalini

For the video tutorials, flash works out to be the best actually. I've tested out the various MPEG codecs, and flash actually had better quality at lower file size due to the nature of the video taken (mostly static background, etc)

But for general video streaming.. you'll still need a balance between size, quality and hardware required to decode. So, if we dont care about quality.. there are quite a number of lossy compression techniques out there.

What would make life awesome if we have a vector based video encoding and decoding. However, that would take a while to process (and initial versions might make videos look cartoonish). Anyone interested in doing more research in that? It would be a great thesis to work on, along side with spatial encoding perhaps?
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    as of now i dont think speedbit video accl is of much use...ive tried it n it hardly gives u any practical edge...so dump it off...if it has worked for anyone then lemme know..

n plainly speakin... if u have a slow internet connection[smaller bandwidth] n u want to download a video at faster speeds there not much to do...as it is ur bandwidth is limited so u cant surely cross tat..

about compression thing as people have mentioned...u can always use highly compressed videos such as 3gp or mp4 but then to decrease the size ul have to compromise on quality ...not always worth it!!!

one best thing wud be to download the entire video instead of streamin it usin some download manager/accelerator..
    i prefer to use internet download manager n their latest version can catch almost any video from almost any website...it will download at fastest speed possible n when done u can watch it at peace ๐Ÿ˜€

presently other than tat there are no methods available..

abt wat ash said above..i have no idea..will need to do some research on it before i can post back ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Ok folks, you are talking about tools that let you download videos. This post is about newer compression methods so that high definition videos can be delivered over slower connections.

Is there any CS engineer over here who's thinking of compacting a full HD movie in under say 100 MB?
  • B.E
    B.E
    you can always start to play the video - pause it - and play it after you downloaded the whole thing... ๐Ÿ˜€
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Guys, let me repeat: The point is to discuss compression algorithms and how a video can be shrunk or delivered over slower connections.

We aren't discussing 'how to get it done'.
  • B.E
    B.E
    It won't help you with you tube but i have a site that can make your videos much smaller from youtube's, so if you stream it after (which we also do ) it should be faster. i think it is relevant so i'm posting the address here: #-Link-Snipped-#

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I have heard that matlab is used for many real world applications. What is the main use of matlab? how it is used in dsp?
Everybody is getting aware of the impact we have on the environment. This discussion is although not the subject of matter in this post. I would find it more interesting...
hi im a computer science student and i have very good coding skills in java and c++. can any one tell me when and where coding competitions are held? also...
TOTAL SECURITY SOLUTIONS 1.RX101 CRYSTAL-CONTROLLED RECEIVER PORTABLE SIGNAL REPEATER AR3000A PROFESSIONAL MONITOR RECEIVER AR8000 HAND-HELD SCANNING RECEIVER MICROPHONE AUDIO SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM WALL AMPLIFIER SURVEILLANCE SYSTEM MCX-06 SIX CHANNEL MAINS CARRIER...
HI FRIENDS,, I have a doubt about the advancements of a member in CE. How is that a new member as a "Newbie" then advances as an "Apprentice" then as...