Decide which one

You stand before 2 men that stand before 2 doors.

Behind one door is your freedom, behind the other your death.

One man tells nothing but the truth, one man tells nothing but a lie.

You cannot tell the men or the doors apart.

You are allowed to ask one man one question only.
You must now decide which door to open.

How do you decide which one?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    case 1:Just ask any one man "What is 1+1?"
    If he is true man he will say 2.
    Then we will ask other(False man) which way can I escape?
    we will go with just opposite door.
    case 2:If first man replies any thing other than 2.
    We will ask other man which we have confirmed as true one"Which way to go?"
    and we will go with his dicision
    😁
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Good Answer.

So, now assume that they are illiterate and they dont know mathematics or any general questions , try the answer now.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    You are allowed to ask one man one question only.
    Read that, folks.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    We will simply change the question and ask"Is there freedom in one door and death in other?"
    The answer can be "Yes" or"No".
    The rest procedure being the same
  • Reya
    Reya
    If both the men give the same answer we can know which door has freedom behind and which door has death behind!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    Anymore takers?

Should I post the answer?
  • Reya
    Reya
    No, dont post it!I will find the answer by tomorrow.
  • suyash
    suyash
    Let's assign L to the person on the left and R to the person on the right. Let us assume door 1 is correct and door 2 is wrong.

Now ask L a question that - "If I ask R as to which door is the correct one, what will he say? "

Case 1 - L is a truth teller
    since L is a truth teller, he would know that R would give the wrong answer i.e. he would say door 2 and the same thing will be told by L to you because he just needs to answer truthfully what R will say

case 2 - L is a liar
    since L is a liar, he would know that R would give the correct answer i.e. door 1. So when you ask L, being a liar, he would say that R would say door 2.

Thus in both cases, you get the answer as door 2. You just go to the opposite door of whatever the answer you get !!
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    @Suyash: That's a correct answer. 😀
  • ABLE1
    ABLE1
    Hello all, I am a bit of a newbie here. If I may interject that the question posted by "suyash" is incorrect. The analysis is correct but the question is not.

The correct question should be as follows.

While addressing one of the guards you would ask: "If I should ask your friend if that(pointing at either door) is the door to freedom would he say yes??"

Sorry to rain on the parade. Hope ya'll don't hold it against me.

Have a good day.

ABLE1
  • shreyasm89
    shreyasm89
    ABLE1 is right!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In the basement there are 3 light switches in the off position. Each switch controls 1 of 3 light bulbs on the floor above. You may move any of the...
A tough riddle: What did he say? A person goes to a village where it is against the law to tell a lie. However he says that he is going...
it would be better if my project was baesd on these two. i have also interest in forensic science & genetics project. please suggest a informative project. also my term...
Engineering is so trendy these days that everybody wants to be one. The word "engineer" is greatly overused. If there's somebody in your life who you think is trying to...
I stumbled across this video: [video=youtube;sZmTEsMqNbk]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZmTEsMqNbk[/video]