DDR1 and DDR2

What is the difference between DDR1 and DDR2 ram?

I know that DDR2 is faster than DDR1. I am having D101 motherboard and it require DDR1 ram but can we change it to DDR2 or it will create some problem.

And how can we change it to DDR2...😕

Replies

• slashfear
    slashfear
    Hi Rakesh,

Yes ofcourse it will create problem buddy, Let me tell you what I know....😉

DDR2 will not fit in DDR1 notch in the first place 😒 (DDR2 will physically not insert into the socket of DDR1).

The difference between DDr1 and DDR2 is, On the physical side, DDR has a 184-pin interface and DDR2 has 240-pin and they also differ in the voltage they use, DDR1 uses 2.5 Volts DDR2 uses 1.8 Volts. As you have mentioned speed also differs DDR1 has 200 MHz, 266 MHz, 333 MHz, 400 MHz and DDR2 has 400 MHz, 533 MHz, 667 MHz, 800 MHz.

-Arvind(slashfear)
  • safwan
    safwan
    Exactly DDR2 will not fit in motherbord as slot for motherbord will be different.
  • Amit kumar Gupta
    Amit kumar Gupta
    u'll hve 2 better go 4 another DDR2 compatible motherboard.
    u can even get DDR3 these dayz...
  • skipper
    skipper
    Memory makers have to capture the tech audience, people.
    Is it true that a new release is essentially redundant in less than 3 months? Is there a home for old memory sticks somewhere?
  • niraj.kumar
    niraj.kumar
    DDR has 184 pin and DDR2 has 240 pin...DDR2 is newer/faster.
    Neither will fit in a slot designed for the other.
  • ShrinkDWorld
    ShrinkDWorld
    use of pen drive as ram by software is useful???
  • jhbalaji
    jhbalaji
    gg_gaurav
    You mean eBoostr am i right...
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    gg_gaurav
    hey what do you mean by that can you elaborate a little more?
  • sarveshgupta
    sarveshgupta
    What about DDR3?

I have heard that DDR3 is not suitable for working long hours it gets heated up quickly is it true
    altough i know that it takes even lesser voltage of 1.5 volts
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    hii guys ur right and yes ofcourse DDR2 is faster than DDR1 and consumes less voltage then the former but also u might consider that timings are also important for speed of the memory not only frequency makes it faster for example a DDR1 ram with CAS latencies of 4 will be faster than DDR2 of CAS latencies 5 nd it will take less time in fetching signals from cpu this might help
  • saurabh2486
    saurabh2486
    and forr DDR3 ram maybe ur using the wrong chip dude as of i think its not the case wid DDR3
  • Aashish Joshi
    Aashish Joshi
    Using USB as RAM is similar to paging. This is where your OS uses a part of your disk as RAM. This is because due to many programs hogging the system RAM, sometimes you might not even have enough ram available to play a harmless ol' game of freecell. To take care of this, it dumps some of the data in RAM to the Pagefile.

This is the basic funda which I can think of behind using USB as RAM. Also, I don't think it will give decent performance as the data transfer rate of the usb port/device will limit the data transfer rate between the page file and the RAM..

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hi, I'm from a computer background, however, i have a good idea on power generation. Is there anyone/institute in Bangalore who i can consult to implement my idea. The design...
can any one here give me the program of 1. logical address to physical address conversion 2. physical address to logical address conversion in c, c++ plzz help me.... i...
Hi all, I need a high speed comparator with the following specifications. Input frequency -200MHz Input signal voltage -0-3.3V reference voltage - 1.2V output voltage swing -+/-6V (rail to rail)...
Hi, Iam new here so just forgive me if anythin's wrong. I wanna build a hybrid car. from begning weighing about 500 kgs ,2 seater please help me out about...
I'm not asking if you would pay for press coverage as a business if it were possible, I'm asking you if you would ever do it as an individual, when...