Dc to dc converter

Please friends can you help me in telling that how can i get 5 volt constant dc supply from 12v dc supply without using chopper as in chopper the peak voltage remains same and only average voltage changes and henceforth it's costly also.so please help me in getting an idea of the ciruit.

Replies

• Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I think you can use buck converters for this purpose.
  • KAPILBEC
    KAPILBEC
    But suppose i want to harge a mobile at three volts and input is 12 volts the the peak input of the output will remain 12 volts only the average dc voltage will change not the full voltage .also it will be costly as size of inductor is very large
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    For that case you have to opt for Linear regulators.

This is the wiki link-- Linear Regulator

This is the inefficient device, where in the excess power is wasted as heat so i think you would need a heat sink.
  • Codes Guides
    Codes Guides
    I agree you will need a heat sink. A 12V to 3V linear regulator system will likely get hot at any appreciable current.

You can get high-frequency buck converters that shouldn't cost a lot. Try Linear Technology parts.

- CG
    #-Link-Snipped-#
  • KAPILBEC
    KAPILBEC
    THANKS VERY MUCH FOR UR VALUABLE ADBICES😁
  • imnitsy
    imnitsy
    KAPILBEC
    Please friends can you help me in telling that how can i get 5 volt constant dc supply from 12v dc supply without using chopper as in chopper the peak voltage remains same and only average voltage changes and henceforth it's costly also.so please help me in getting an idea of the ciruit.
    well i know my answer is not correct, but can't we use resistors to handle these conversions, like we can use a resistor which consumes the voltage of 7v from the 12v power supply nd only 5v will left with us for further use.

i know it is not correct, but please tell the reason behind it.😕
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    You mean you want to dissipate heat through the resistor and pass the required voltage to the load is it?

It can also be done , but it is very ineffective one!

If you connect a resistor R in series to the voltage and parallel to the load, the resistor consumes the power according to its rating and passes the required power to the load!

In this case we cannot handle the load voltage , I mean if you want to send only voltage above 4 V , without using any semiconductor device you cannot do that thus you are not regulating it at all!!

which doesn't serve the purpose.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Hello, I'm currently a first year engineering student and I have to apply for a stream in a few months for what type of engineering im going into. I'm thinking...
A full audit of the payroll of Somi Impianti, a contractor on the Staythorpe project, determined that fewer than 25 of their 400 employees were paid less than NAECI rates....
Can anyone explain me the whole procedure how the online payment of goods takes place through internet? If i want to provide this feature in my website.What are steps for...
Government told the Supreme Court that it decided to De-recognize 44 Deemed Universities in the country on charges that they were being run as an organizations, owned or controlled by...
I want to make a php based forum for my final year project can anybody provide me the source code related resource on web . thaks in advance ... Happy...