DC Motor Selection

I'm trying to build a remote control submarine and I need some help in selecting an appropriate DC motor. I'm not a mechanical engineer and I don't really know anything about fluids or motor selection. The shape of the submarine is cylindrical with about a 3 inch diameter. I want to be able to go at least 1 m/s. I found this website: #-Link-Snipped-# that seemed somewhat helpful. They first calculate the power of the motor that they need based on the motor's rotational speed and torque. The problem is I don't know how much torque I need for the motor or it's rotational speed. I tried using this equation that I found on wikipedia: F= -1\2p* v^2*A*C to give me the drag force of the submarine and I figured the thrust of the motor would need to equal that. I still don't know how that would relate to the torque of the motor though or how fast the motor would need to spin. As far as the voltage source goes, I was thinking of connected two 7.2 volt batteries in series to give me 14.4 V. Thanks for any insight that someone could offer me.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

me at 440 W after registering for CE
Anyone here have tips on the steps in getting an MBA degree from a US institution. In particular, I'm looking for: a) MBA programs that have historically catered to foreign...
:smile: i search a document on google and google returns.. what if i already have a file in some of my lappy's drive which meets the search criteria??? is this...
Can anybody tell me some good colleges for Distance learning or correspondence MBA. Is there any difference in the two? I have 3.5 yrs of experience in IT and its...
i heard that information through internet travels through cables under sea. is it true? That means there is under sea cable connection between all the countries....