CrazyEngineers
  • el3ktr1k
    el3ktr1k

MemberOct 31, 2008

DC Motor Selection

I'm trying to build a remote control submarine and I need some help in selecting an appropriate DC motor. I'm not a mechanical engineer and I don't really know anything about fluids or motor selection. The shape of the submarine is cylindrical with about a 3 inch diameter. I want to be able to go at least 1 m/s. I found this website: #-Link-Snipped-# that seemed somewhat helpful. They first calculate the power of the motor that they need based on the motor's rotational speed and torque. The problem is I don't know how much torque I need for the motor or it's rotational speed. I tried using this equation that I found on wikipedia: F= -1\2p* v^2*A*C to give me the drag force of the submarine and I figured the thrust of the motor would need to equal that. I still don't know how that would relate to the torque of the motor though or how fast the motor would need to spin. As far as the voltage source goes, I was thinking of connected two 7.2 volt batteries in series to give me 14.4 V. Thanks for any insight that someone could offer me.
    Replies
Howdy guest!
Dear guest, you must be logged-in to participate on CrazyEngineers. We would love to have you as a member of our community. Consider creating an account or login.
Home Channels Search Login Register