Data Visualization for Intrusion Detection System

Intrusion Detection System with Data Visualization

Hi,
I want to make an IDS (Intrusion Detection System) using Data Visualization. I am currently pursuing CCNA, and IT Engg 4th Year. Although there is a lot of material on it, I am not understanding how to approach it, what language would be best to implement it, (as we want to do data visualization too) there are so many papers which are giving various models on IEEE websites.

If anyone could help us in taking this forward it would be great. We have selected Networking and Security as our domain for the future, hence we think this would be the right project for us to get the basic idea of how attack happens, and how it is detected. The idea is not to make something great at first, but to understand the concepts of security through the project. If anyone has a better idea of how we can improve this it would be great.

Please feel free to ask any questions if you have.

Thanks.

Replies

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Basically if your purpose is to capture and analyze packets then you can go for java

Here you can use third party tool jpcap which provides a lot of inbuilt classes as well as functions for capturing packets and analyze it
  • mayjune
    mayjune
    Ok. Thats a Good Start. What about the Data Visualization part? Do you think Java would be helpful in that?
    I'll give you an idea of how it can be helpful. Lets say Host A has IDS installed. I have an XY plotted graph, in which X represents Time. And Y represent Port No. of that Host. Each time a Host is accessed, A Dot is represnted on the graph. Different Source IP represent Diff color.

Now lets say Host B wants to hack Host A. It first starts with Port Scanning. In port scanning as you may know, it will try pinging each port to get a reply back.
    Now if on the graph, I'll see a line going on lets say from 12000 - 13000 port nos from time 5:30:00 - 5:32:00. If i see the source IP add, i can make out its from the same IP add. Hence i can conclude that Host B is trying to hack my computer.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi...I am doing my final year in marine engineering...can anyone suggest me some project topics...plse help me guys..
For the first time, Blackberry has come up with a sliding keyboard mobile phone. The Blackberry torch 9800 is powered by Blackberry 6 OS. RIM has upgraded the OS and...
CEans, I had a chance to try the new BADA powered phone by Samsung at a local Croma store. I really loved the super AMOLED powered screen and the superfast...
While single sign-in is great; lot of users with multiple Google accounts are going to love Google's new feature - multiple sign in. Now users will be able to switch...
I think the vote goes to BLIPPY - https://blippy.com/404 What say you? 😛