DARPA's GPS Back-Up TIMU Is Smaller Than A Penny

It seems Pennies are still serving one purpose in America by being the de facto standard for measuring the minutest of things. The GPS is practically omnipresent for an average user, but the occasional unavailability could prove to be disastrous for military operations. This calls for a back-up device that could function when GPS is facing interference in the satellite signals. DARPA Researchers at University of Michigan have been doing just that. The timing & inertial measurement unit (TIMU) contains everything that is needed for navigation in absence of GPS. The single chip TIMU contains a six axis IMU constituted of three gyroscopes and three accelerometers. A highly-accurate master clock is integrated into the miniature chip which houses materials and designs from DARPA’s Micro-Technology for Positioning, Navigation and Timing (Micro-PNT) program. The goal of the Micro-Technology for Positioning, Navigation and Timing (Micro-PNT) program is to develop technology that assists self-contained, chip-scale inertial navigation and precision guidance.

slide

Orientation, acceleration and time are the key pieces of information required to navigate from one point to another. The elegantly designed 10 cubic millimeter chip is capable of measuring all three simultaneously. TIMU has six microfabricated layers, each devoted to a different function. DARPA believes despite the size of the device, it is robust enough to perform activities such as personnel tracking, handheld navigation, small diameter munitions and small airborne platforms.

Source: Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency - Content not found

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am being shown an undefined error when I try to upload a file to any part of CE to resources or to a thread I am not able to...
I want to become an android developer but i found a new os is going to dominate it..
we're pleased to inform that aBaCUS'13 will resume on April 19-20. Web Development workshop will be held on April 20. aBaCUS'13 is back with Intern for all technical events!! Come...
So I have a project in mind. Its a monitoring system where I'm going to use a temperature sensor and an RFID to be controlled by some microcontroller or microprocesor...
Just a few days back it was my friend's mother's birthday and on the other day it was a friend's girlfriend's birthday. In the course of thinking of a perfect...