Daily Technical Quiz Event.

#-Link-Snipped-# & #-Link-Snipped-# has already resurrected "Weekly Technical Discussion" but that's our "weekend dose",what about rest 6 days ?
Well,I have an idea :

- This event won't be like typical "quiz".I have named it "quiz" because the OP(Original Poster) won't answer the question.

This is so scattered info. so lemme start from scratch.

- In this "technical quiz",the OP will ask a question & the rest of interested CEans will try to answer it.The OP must know the answer,else this will be flop-show.
- The question asked by OP must be "extremely good".Please avoid questions like "What is transistors" & "What's ROM" & all such newbie questions.We'll rather go in deep & interesting theories & not basic one.
- Once OP asks question,he/she can't answer within in 24hr of time span.After 24hrs of asked question,he/she gotta answer the question & that "must" be correct.
- Let's make it more interesting.
The OP will give "agree", "disagree","informative" & even "Incomplete information" to the participating CEans.
- Sadly,We don't have "Best Answer" widget so we'll be use "Like" button for that.Please don't use "like button" for other purpose as it will be the symbol of "Best Answer" for our quiz which only OP can give.
-This event needs unbiased approach,It can be possible that your friend or gf/bf or brother/sister replies the question.So,you don't have to hit "agree" or "like" because you know 'em.
Let's be real,If he/she's wrong then hit on appropriate widget & vice versa.Let's be true to the game!

- Monday to Saturday there will be 6 quiz per branch.(Means 6x4=24 quiz tech questions per week)(Branch:Electronics/Electrical,IT/Computer,Civil & Mechanical... rest seems inactive so I havent mentioned it)
- 1 quiz per day per branch.Means total 4 quiz questions per day in 4 branches.
- Anyone can ask quiz question but criteria is he/she must know "most accurate" answer.
- If question is asked on 9 am then it will end on next day of 9am.
- The answer posted after given time period will not be given any rating on basis of his/her answer.

PS : I have posted whatever came in my mind.

If CEans are interested in this quiz tech questions then we can stepup & start right from today or tomorrow.

If you have any suggestions/queries then post it here & we can upgrade the event rules for good.

PS : Copying contents from other website & even linking the urls is not allowed.

Comeon buddies,throw me some suggestions.

Replies

• rahul69
    rahul69
    The Idea is Awesome!!πŸ‘ ..as it will provide an already present challenge to be faced each day, but it is better to decide who is going to post question, a day before the next quiz, otherwise it may happen that no post comes due to confusion πŸ˜• ...Also a fixed timetable is required for each branch...and thats all I can think of right now...
  • Sindhu Chowdary
    Sindhu Chowdary
    yeah rahul69 is right...what if many questions were asked on the same day bcoz no one knows who is going to post the question next!!!!!😐
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    We'll make schedule of it & even poll same like Weekly tech discussions πŸ˜€
  • pikachu1994
    pikachu1994
    Really nice idea.i think we can also give importance to general knowledge,current affairs as it plays an important role in all competitive exams
  • Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya
    Troll_So_Hard
    We'll make schedule of it & even poll same like Weekly tech discussions πŸ˜€
    We can do one thing here. We can start a thread in which CEans who want to ask a question have to submit their Questions to one volunteer and that volunteer will start a thread in all branch with OP name.
    We also need more than two three volunteer to manage this event successfully.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    godfather
    We can do one thing here. We can start a thread in which CEans who want to ask a question have to submit their Questions to one volunteer and that volunteer will start a thread in all branch with OP name.
    We also need more than two three volunteer to manage this event successfully.
    I was thinking of a somewhat similar approach. The Admin can create QMCE (quiz master CE) for each category. The QM will be nameless. Questions with answers have to be mailed to QMCE, otherwise all know all questions randomly.
    Each day the concerned QMCE can post one question. A special report button with appropriate ratings can be added to the existing bar. The OP alone should be able to access this. The OP ID is revealed only when the correct answer is given.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    I am in what Sir and GF says are the best possible things We need a team willing to post in the time frame that is the most important thing of all
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    I am all ready for it.I am just waiting for the quiz to start!
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    The point that hits my head is why is this idea not yet implemented

A test trial of this will be there from tomo

Sorry Guys Me no Push over waiting to gather people around me to start a competition.

I will be posting questions and let us see how many responses I get within this week.

To the best of my knowledge they will be from Mechanical, Computer and obviously Electronics. Just two people needs to agree this post By tonight to get some MIND CHILLERS for a week.

Don't under estimte ME you will regret it later.

Questions will be die hard ones and let us see how it goes on in the future

#-Link-Snipped-# the only condition is laid out and if two agree this I post the questions I framed for Pranav'13 as a trial round. And then from the Next week I will put in some extra time to make it more and more challenging.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Conqueror
    #-Link-Snipped-# the only condition is laid out and if two agree this I post the questions I framed for Pranav'13 as a trial round. And then from the Next week I will put in some extra time to make it more and more challenging.
    Man, I am very much noob & nerfed.
    But fuck it, I am in for whatever/anything πŸ˜‰

Hope to hear it from some more CEans.
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    Troll_So_Hard
    Man, I am very much noob & nerfed.
    But fuck it, I am in for whatever/anything πŸ˜‰

Hope to hear it from some more CEans.
    All trubies will Buddy See back u here at 9 have some errands and some planning to do
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    No response πŸ˜”πŸ˜² I am surprised #-Link-Snipped-# Tell what in the world is wrong here
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    What is crow bar protection in power electronics?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    A way to remove voltage surges in high voltage appliances. The surges are grounded by the components which are similar to a crowbar thrown across the power lines.

When iron is contacted two live wires there is short ckt and similar operation is carried by the components when they are used as shunts to the supply. This prevents the over voltage from damaging the other circuits
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    That is correct. The term comes from the practice of rapid short circuiting to prevent hazards in an emergency.
    In electrochemical machining heavy currents (though at moderate voltages) are used to machine complex aerospace turbines and casings in exotic materials. Both the job and the tool used are very expensive.
    Fast response spark detectors (typically 1 micro second) along with Crowbar circuits using very high current thyristors with very high I^2t values are used to short circuit the current and in a cascading manner shut down the power supply. A processor keeps track of the failure sequence for fault analysis and subsequent repair.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In the case of CNC machining what is compensation?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    #-Link-Snipped-# can you pls clarify and explain this to us Not sure of the usage of CNC machines
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    In CNC machining the programming covers tool movement path, traverse speed, depth of cut and such parameters. There is an inherent assumption that the tool does not change dimension. When cutting tough or hard aerospace materials there can be enough tool wear which can lead to dimensional inaccuracies in the part.

Various options are used to handle this. The modifications needed in the programme for this are called compensation.

We use a lot of CNC for medical devices manufacture. Since great accuracies are needed in mating parts tool wear compensation is an important consideration for us.

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Stress corrosion cracking is fairly common. Even in the kitchen low cost stainless steel vessels develop cracks from the top edge.
    Which kind of stress initiates such cracks?
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    I am not sure, but I think it is due to tensile stress...πŸ˜•.
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    rahul69
    I am not sure, but I think it is due to tensile stress...πŸ˜•.
    That is right. Stress corrosion cracking (SCC) happens when there is a corrosion initiated crack (along grain boundaries or crystal defects)in a member that is with a tensile stress. The tension pulls apart the crack.
    Sometimes this can be catastrophic.

My first job was in the Central Electro Chemical Research Institute at Karaikudi (1960). I lived in quarters next to the director's. One night there was a loud noise from the director's kitchen. Prof. KSG Doss, who was the director, rushed to the kitchen to find the place spattered with mango pickles and the spicy juice.
    We investigated the SS vessel that was holding the pickles in the corrosion lab. The out side of the deep drawn vessel is under a high tensile stress. Good manufacturers will relieve this stress. What had happened was that a bit of the very salty sauce from the pickle got smeared on the outer wall. This initiated a tiny crack and the tension tore the whole vessel apart.

Even plastics can suffer SCC.

Stress Corrosion Cracking
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Why is a 'fly back diode' used across inductors in a DC circuit?
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    To prevent over shoot current from flowing back to the source and damaging the circuits

In short to prevent overshoot current surge
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Interesting !

What are "Futexes" ?
    What are "Mutexes" ?
    What they do & how are they used ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    Conqueror
    To prevent over shoot current from flowing back to the source and damaging the circuits. In short to prevent overshoot current surge
    Partly right. However, the voltage surge is a reverse voltage called 'kick back' voltage. In a sense this is a sort of 'current inertia'. Depending on the ohmic resistance this can be high enough to damage other components in the circuit. The diode is mounted reverse biased across the inductor to short out this reverse 'kick back' voltage.

This was a routine precaution when we were using high current DC circuits.
    Flyback Diode
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    The event is going good,please bring in some computer science trivia!!πŸ˜’
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Whats In Name
    The event is going good,please bring in some computer science trivia!!πŸ˜’
    Here it is :

Troll_So_Hard
    What are "Futexes" ?
    What are "Mutexes" ?
    Hint : Based on C language πŸ˜€
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    Troll_So_Hard
    Here it is :

Hint : Based on C language πŸ˜€
    Really!😨 never knew of them,will be glad to know about!Time for some research.πŸ˜•
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I do not know the A, B (and certainly not) C of computer languages!
    I am from the mechanical calculator and slide rule era.
    All engineers knew only four letter words to shout when the calculations did not come out right.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    Whats In Name
    Really!😨 never knew of them,will be glad to know about!Time for some research.πŸ˜•
    I will be amazed if Google can give you information on futexes !
    There's reason why Books will always be million times superior than Google.

By the way,some hints :
    1) It's also known as futes
    2) It's mechanism in form of system call
    3) You can contact Linus Torvalds(He hates idea of this mechanism though) or Alan Cox for detailed information on it.
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Troll_So_Hard
    Interesting !

What are "Futexes" ?
    What are "Mutexes" ?
    Mutexes are the Mutual Exclusion objects used in locking in resource sharing to avoid arriving at deadlock states
    Futexes are Fast Userspace Mutexes, are linux constructs and perform same function as Mutexes.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    rahul69
    Mutexes are the Mutual Exclusion objects used in locking in resource sharing to avoid arriving at deadlock states
    Futexes are Fast Userspace Mutexes, are linux constructs and perform same function as Mutexes.
    Nice job #-Link-Snipped-#
    By the way, can you say how interface of futexes looks like ? (I mean code)

Futes mainly depends on some several values.
    Let's consider two main "Wake" & "Wait" right now.
    In specific term as used in Kernel for lib devs as - futex_wait & futex_wake.

So,What does futex_wake & futex_wait does ?
  • rahul69
    rahul69
    Troll_So_Hard
    Nice job #-Link-Snipped-#
    By the way, can you say how interface of futexes looks like ? (I mean code)

Futes mainly depends on some several values.
    Let's consider two main "Wake" & "Wait" right now.
    In specific term as used in Kernel for lib devs as - futex_wait & futex_wake.

So,What does futex_wake & futex_wait does ?
    futex_wait makes a process go into sleep, so as to wait untill other process which is executing, frees the resources.
    futex_wake wakes up the sleeping process when the required resources are freed.
  • Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    rahul69
    futex_wait makes a process go into sleep, so as to wait untill other process which is executing, frees the resources.
    futex_wake wakes up the sleeping process when the required resources are freed.
    Which process ?
    PS : Process can't go in sleep,it just blocks the calling thread.
    By the way,
    Can you write basic code of interface of futes ? (Something we call syntax)
    It has answer of all - alongwith three locks (My next question)
  • Whats In Name
    Whats In Name
    bioramani
    I do not know the A, B (and certainly not) C of computer languages!
    I am from the mechanical calculator and slide rule era.
    All engineers knew only four letter words to shout when the calculations did not come out right.
    😁Its okay,Sir,you can continue with your questions,I should & will be aware of some extra facts!πŸ˜€
  • Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj
    What do holds transition control in Thyristor's gate?

PS: transition is from OFF to ON state and the reverse

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Dear CEAN's, i make a blog on blogspot and i make several pages of it but i don't know that how to post on a particular page because everytime i...
Hello, I'm working on a project titled "wheelchair control using eye movements". I don't have any idea, how to proceed further. How do I collect the details of the components...
what is local necking in a tensile stress strain test. Can somebody explain it with a physical metallurgy point of view about what happens to the deformations and microstructure at...
I have a site . I want to use quiz test Plugin on that site. please tell me where can I get it?
what are the factors which should be considered for designing a brake and specifically which software is better to design it.