CyanogenMod Android Firmware To Have Encrypted Text Message Feature By Default

CyanogenMod Android firmware users have received an additional security feature on Monday with the incorporation of Open WhisperSystems' TextSecure protocol. Open WhisperSystems, founded by security researchers Moxie Marlinspike and Stuart Anderson, develops software that encrypt VoIP telephone calls and text messages. Android users can download TextSecure SMS security software from Google Play store and install in on their smartphones to make use of this feature. The company declared that CyanogenMod project is mounting the technology into its firmware by default.

cyanogenmod-630x420

With TextSecure becoming an integral element of the default CyanogenMod SMS software, users can select any messaging app they want and can derive full advantage of secure messaging with other TextSecure-enabled devices (Android or iOS) automatically. Moxie Marlinspike explained in a blog-post: "If an outgoing SMS message is addressed to another CyanogenMod or TextSecure user, it will be transparently encrypted and sent over the data channel as a push message to the receiving device. That device will then decrypt the message and deliver it to the system as a normal incoming SMS."

Suppose a device does not support TextSecure, the messages shall pass via the normal unencrypted SMS pathway. In built-in firmware version of the technology support all features of the TextSecure app. As per the CyanogenMod team, the code is being fused with 10.2 nightly version, but if the results aer positive, the tech shall be pre-mounted on all future products of CyanogenMod 11 as well. Several versions of the CyanogenMod firmware with inbuilt TextSecure for a range of devices can be downloaded from the #-Link-Snipped-#

Replies

• Abhishek Rawal
    Abhishek Rawal
    CyanogenTeam leaves no stone unturned to impress their users. This is very nice feature by CMTeam.

Not related to this news, but something related to CM11.0 M1 build : CMTeam is currently working on new launcher3 code-base (trebuchet-next) which I assume after completion will be rolled out in nightlies & milestone snapshots.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I'm wondering if there can be a DIY moon rover project - that will include sending the rover to the moon and then making the bot move, capture videos and...
The computer-based C-CAT for admission to the February 2014 batch of PG Diploma courses will be conducted on two dates, viz., 8 December 2013 and 15 December 2013, in various...
Celkon Mobiles in India has launched a new feature phone called Celkon C76 that is basic at its core and brings an interesting feature of supporting eight Indian languages which...
I believe in order to achieve anything, you must have a aim set in your mind that motivates you for that particular thing Unfortunately when I asked individuals here in...
This article is so well written that I gotta share : https://opensource.com/business/13/11/selinux-policy-guide