Current Transformer Output

Hi all,
Basically i was from electronics domain but i was doing a project now where i was using a current transformer to step-down the ac currents in the circuit for measurement. The input to the CT is 1A rms current with a power factor 1. Output of the CT will be shown in the image (The Yellow one was the current waveform). The CT which i used was of CT1052(Turns ratio : 2500:1) of Electrohms make. The burden which i used was 56e. I was getting distorted output waveform(even if i changed burden vaues) can anyone please help me with this.

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The recommended secondary burden for this model is 90 ohms resistive. 56 ohms may be over loading.
  • Bhargavteja
    Bhargavteja
    A.V.Ramani
    The recommended secondary burden for this model is 90 ohms resistive. 56 ohms may be over loading.
    Hi sir,
    Thanks for your reply. As burden increases, the resistance will saturate the CT(I just read it somewhere). Will the usage of lower burden also impacts the performance of a CT ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    The distortion in the waveforms with changes in the secondary burden of the CT are described in this paper:
  • Bhargavteja
    Bhargavteja
    Thanks for the reply....
    I used a burden of 200 ohms and i got the following waveforms from the CT output when i had a primary current of 1A rms(power factor = 1). The waveform looks to be fine but appears to be having distortions. Is the waveforms from CT will look like that ?
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    I doubt that there will be any distortion in output wave form. Both input and output wave forms should match. Is it possible that there is some high frequency noise either in the circuit or nearby, which is picked up by the scope leads?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Internet search giant Google is working with Reliance Jio to launch budget friendly 4G smartphone and Internet powered 'SmartTV' product; says a report published in leading publication Hindu Business Line....
On 13th March, Intel, U.S. chip giant, took its first step in driverless-tech industry by confirming acquisition of Mobileye, an Israeli company specializing autonomous vehicle technology. Mobileye was valued at...
Android or iOS which one is better? This perennial debate has raged on for the last decade. While each may have its own advantages and pitfalls there hasn’t been a...
hello! i study about osi model layer from top layer to lower layer and vers i hope i understood it well but i get some of confusion on the application...
Chinese smartphone manufacturer Xiaomi has created a new record by selling a million of its Redmi Note 4 within a span of just 45 days, tagging it as the fastest...