Current transformer help?

Hi
I want your help to create current transformer.
I want to create a transformer through which i can get this specification
Step up transformer
2mA I/P
100mA O/P
I don't know anything about voltage right now
Can anyone tell can it be created?
We have to place it on PCB

Kundan

Replies

• sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well you can search in market as you will get many transformer of this specification or use current amplifiers instead as your current ratings are not that high!!!
  • kundan
    kundan
    Ok..
    Thanks for your helpp..
    But still i want more info..
    I already search market but they ask me for "How much voltage"

Is there is any way some one can built it for me.

Kundan
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    well building a transformer is not easy but you can definately search some local transformer manufacture and get it made customised,ofcourse CT's have voltage as required by you,mostly about 230V
  • kundan
    kundan
    Ok..
    But still in bhopal we have two shops for this but they ask about voltage..
    And also i want to ask you that how can i use current amplifier instead of CT
  • Pluto
    Pluto
    kundan
    Hi
    I want your help to create current transformer.
    I want to create a transformer through which i can get this specification

I don't know anything about voltage right now
    Can anyone tell can it be created?
    We have to place it on PCB

Kundan
    Hi when looking for of building a customised transformer you cannot separate the current from the voltage (PD) and the power rating as they are inextricably linked by electrical laws. I.e the current (I) is the voltage/resitance. These values are all interchangeable, so its impossible to buy or build one without the other. Basically speaking, you want a 50 times increase in the current capacity, so you will have to alter the voltage and ithe resistance of the windings to achieve the desired output (W/KvA). E.g 10 volts at 1 amp is the same power as 100volts at 0.1amp.

I assume that its quite a low power application you are after hence PCB mount, therefore you may be able to get an electronic rather than traditional winding/diode solution.

I hope this is of some use to you
    -------------------------------------------------------
    #-Link-Snipped-# for Epson HP Lexmark Brother and Canon
  • sauravgoswami
    sauravgoswami
    nice post Pluto,well it depends for what you need it,if you want to drive any electronic circuit then you need current ratings in milli Ampere range and if you are driving any electrical device then you need current accordingly!!!
  • Rifaa
    Rifaa
    Everyone is giving correct answers in their point of view but not what kundan wants.
    @ Kundan, the way you a thinking of transformers are not quite correct.
    U see, there are two types of transformers in terms of Power, One is Voltage transformer and the other is current transformer.
    Mainly we use VT, this has two types, Step up and step down, this purely involves voltage when it comes to their use, but we can't avoid current too, since when it comes to power. So to avoid confusion VT's has two windings. One primary which accepts incoming supply and second is the secondary winding which supply's the out put Voltage. Step up or down comes in accordance with one's use in the application.
    Current is there when u apply voltage to anything, so in this case current depends on the power of the circuit which u want to use.
    what ever the case may be power input is always more than the power output because of the transformer core loss, and typical a transformer has 75% efficiency.
    So when finding a VT, the voltage is the first thing u shud be concerned about.

The other type is CT ( current transformer ), which basically has one winding and sometimes it can be referred as a choke ( only when DC with AC is concerned).
    But CT's are used around a conductor to measure the current through it without direct connection to the circuit. Mainly the core is round and wires are wound around the core. And the conductor is pass though the circular core. When current passes through the conductor ( AC ) voltage is induced in the CT, and the out put V is produced at the CT terminals and the magnitude depends on the no. of windings.

So what u need can be easily clarified once you give me the detailed info of the circuit you are going to use your transformer.
    Then I can suggest your ratings and the type.
    Cheers
    Rifaa

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi everybody , i am doing lift controller using 8051 i need block diagram and asm chart for that plz any one can help me out.
Hi Recently a college in my city tried using cellphone jammers in the campus. Unfortunately (and fortunately for the students) they had to uninstalled it as the public outside the...
Hi all, My name is michael. I am currently working in a project which is involving the broadcasting of a local community channel. My background is Computer Science engineer, and...
Hi, I have a machine design problem here. Actually, it's more of a dynamics problem. I designed a simple robot in Pro E (please refer to figure) and I have...
How to use compresed air inplace of screw pump for viscose liquid? please any body help me