Curiosity and ideas on Dark Matter in the universe, ("The missing mass")

My question i would like to bring up is, how has Dark Matter been proven to be a mass? As of right now we cannot detect it because it doesn't emit radiation. Because of that we cannot find the mass of it either. Are there any laws of physics that disprove the possiblity of Dark Matter being more so a force rather than a mysterious matter? Though of course some of the laws may be inaccurate when talking about Dark Matter..There are defnitely Neutrinos with the dark matter which have so much energy they can pass through a lot. My idea was that maybe Dark Matter is a different type of gravity like an antigravity or something that came along with the anti-matter during the Big Bang. This unique form of gravity depending on its origin could have the possiblity of being interwoven with Baryons or Neutrinos. It would be sort of like how Electricity is interwoven with Magnetism for Electromagnetism, but instead Baryons/Neutrinos interwoven with this theoretical "gravity"(Dark Matter). It supposedly makes up like 90% of the Universe and well of course gravity exists everywhere. Does anybody know if it is indeed possible that Dark Matter could actually be a unique force of gravity rather than matter?

Replies

• ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Good question Prodi (Can I call you that? ๐Ÿ˜€ )
    For the law of energy conversion to satisfy " Energy cannot be created..." There has to be equal amount of anti matter to be present in universe to counter balance matter. Scientists upon calculation said that such mass (matter) was not visible, however, its effects are seen.
    Now you already mentioned the percent of matter and antimatter to be 10 and 90 respectively. ๐Ÿ˜€
    Now coming to gravity, see gravity is an attribute of any mass by default. If you keep 1 Kg mass on a table, it will have its gravity. Similarly, antimatter/dark matter also being a *matter* I think will have forces of gravity associated with it.

Do you know about alpha magnet spectrometer (AMS) ? It is there to find out the evidence of such a dark matter. ๐Ÿ˜€ Go through the articles for reference.
    AMS->#-Link-Snipped-#
    Other experiments->#-Link-Snipped-#

Hope it will give you a good read. ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    Didn't we get lucky though and there ended up being just a tad more matter than anti-matter that way it didn't all cancel out? Because I thought matter and and anti-matter annihilated each other. But also what do you think of the possibilities of Dark Matter acting as a force in conjunction with gravity? Like say it actually influences matter in a way that it acts as more weight or mass than it actually is making up for the lost mass..But yea i didn't know that was the name of the machine but i think ive seen it. If i remember correctly it shows up as little red dots on this screen but the amount that show up is very small like just a few after a while.
  • ISHAN TOPRE
    ISHAN TOPRE
    Anti matter (dark matter) is opposite of matter right? So regarding its effect, it must be acting opposite to force of gravity. I believe that it is dispersed and has scarce density. To find out the true nature of that we will have to wait for further research. Currently many telescope projects for gathering gamma radiation projects are under development. One of them is Square kilometer array.

One more thing, recently I came across the fact that Caltech scientists have prepared a 3D map of Dark matter. When you say red dots are you possibly referring to the images released in that research? ๐Ÿ˜€
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    Yea most likely the images from that research. But yea actually Dark Matter is completely different than Anti-Matter. Anti-Matter is the matter that was created from the Big Bang along with actual matter and during the time all this happened there was like 1 more matter than anti-matter like a phenomenon (i guess). Since there was one more soldier on matter's side than anti-matter's, matter was able to survive and become all that it is today. So from this fact if the idea of Dark Matter would actually be accurate as a force it could be an antigravity interacting with gravity in strange ways and masses that are influenced could interfere with the complete repelling of the antigravity. But like you said, more research is required. Would be nice to figure it out through analysis of the current knowledge of it all and win the Noble Prize but experiments and probably reputation are required for that lol..
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    Gravity can be detected by the waves it gives off, though it's difficult. The main thing that i don't get is how they determined Dark Matter actually fits the defnition of "Matter"..? I did some research and couldn't find any proof. Maybe the fact of the matter is that it's just a theory claiming it's matter. ๐Ÿ˜›
  • kathrinrich
    kathrinrich
    Dear there always exist evil where exist goodness...
  • ProdigiousJ
    ProdigiousJ
    Well of course, like my avatar of Master Obi Wan Kenobi. There is the power of the dark side and the power of the jedi. But where did that response come from exactly for its not very relevant? No offense, but just curious.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Friends, I am using MS word 2007 version. Whenever we type some word and if it is not available with dictionary, we can always say "Add to dictionary" Isn't it?...
can u suggest any project ideas in mechanical field
why mild steel have higher cooling rate than cast iron after melting.
A who was born in country B, established the calendar C, which is many years ahead of the calendar D (also known as E), introduced by F. C is the...
hey engizes can anyone give me any idea for how to prepare for the cdac xam so as to get admission for the course of vlsi and embedded