Crystal Lang - Is it worth learning it?

The Crystal programming language seems to be getting a bit of developer love these days. I'm not at all sure if it's the next big thing in programming languages; but a few hours of curious reading on the Internet makes me wonder if there's a room for another programming language that aims to solve 'common' problems. 

I'm wondering if it'd be worth learning Crystal programming language and look forward to opinions from our fellow engineers and software developers.

So, the tag line that seems to be attracting developers is as fast as "C", and slick syntax like Ruby. I don't have any experience with Ruby programming language and it's been several years since I programmed with C. 

But as soon as any developer starts talking about server side programming languages, Javascript folks jump in to advocate how JS is rapidly invading the server side. Thanks to Node which allowed JS to be made available on servers and Vue that's rapidly becoming the most favoured layer of EcmaScript. I don't have any experience with either; so can't comment. 

All I'm trying to figure out is whether Crystal holds any promise and should any web developer care to learn the language. 

Of course, you can't be fully productive by simply learning the language. You've to develop expertise in a related framework as well!

Would appreciate thoughts and comments from fellow developers. 

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

As we see co2 is freely available in the environment so can we use it in construction in order to reduce its concentration in environment 
what is wrong in the following code output:- 1729 4101 4913 {correct output 1729 4104}#include int main(){int i,d=0,j,k,s=5000;for(i=1;i<=s;i++){  for(j=1;jj)       d++;                   }}if(d==2)        printf("%d\n",i);  d=0;  }}
So this year Accenture is coming to my college campus and they put criteria of 6.82 CGPA (aggregate) but the problem is I was YD in first year. So my...
i am doing my final year project on ultrasonic cleaning.It uses ultrasonic waves to clean up fruits metals clothes etc.The material to be cleaned is placed under water along with...
In this journal paper they mix the aluminium with natural fibre my question is - How the natural fibre withstand the heat while fabricate?NEW NATURAL FIBRE REINFORCED ALUMINIUM COMPOSITE FOR...