Crowd Sourcing CE Competition Judgement

CEans,

We have planned many competitions on CE over the next few months; and we want to take an important decision regarding the judgement of every competition.

We have two options:

1. Judges should be appointed and their decision will remain unquestionable.
2. Winners are decided through public voting.

Each of these two options have their own merits (and demerits as well).

Regarding option #1,
We may appoint judges who aren't directly involved with CE [may not always be possible!] to avoid favorism (if you think it exists on CE).

Regarding option #2,
There's always a chance that popular member gets more votes. Again, I personally don't expect that to happen in an engineering community (just my humble opinion) πŸ˜€

Third option could be: A panel of judges selects probable winners and public voting decides the winner.

What's your take on this? We are open to totally new ideas apart from these options.

Replies

• csiscool
    csiscool
    ask the users to send entries to admin mail id,

select the 6-7 entries for final, using your judges group

and publish it here , let the users voteπŸ˜’
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    In opposition to 2 option - I can create 100 usernames in a night & vote myself. creating a username takes at max 5 mins. Creating 100 usernames will take 500 mins = 8.3 hrs. And I can remain undetected by bouncing between different ip using proxy server softwares like onion proxy.
    Yet simpler way of doing it is also possible by using a dial-up connection & each time I connect I'm alloted a new dynamic ip.

one thing more - my university has only 1 external ip & internal network is divided into subnets. When any person logs in, he or she is using same external ip. How can you judge in this case that whether the same person is creating the usernames or different persons.
    So the ip checking thing goes absurd here to check fraud.
  • csiscool
    csiscool
    vik001ind
    In opposition to 2 option - I can create 100 usernames in a night & vote myself. creating a username takes at max 5 mins. Creating 100 usernames will take 500 mins = 8.3 hrs. And I can remain undetected by bouncing between different ip using proxy server softwares like onion proxy.
    Yet simpler way of doing it is also possible by using a dial-up connection & each time I connect I'm alloted a new dynamic ip.

one thing more - my university has only 1 external ip & internal network is divided into subnets. When any person logs in, he or she is using same external ip. How can you judge in this case that whether the same person is creating the usernames or different persons.
    So the ip checking thing goes absurd here to check fraud.
    That is also correct thought..
  • csiscool
    csiscool
    also post about what lagging in thier attempt ,that the achiever got it right in his attempt,

this will help the losers to improve
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    The 2 option will be fraud free if you add a voting eligibility criteria that the voter must have a minimum of 50 or 100 posts or he must have been a member for 2 months or more.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Again, its not very easy, first of all you need unique email ID to create an account on CE. Also, many registrations during a short period of time (suspicious activity) is easily caught - and all of them voting for one person - isn't hard to catch. I wonder any sane person will actually do this just to win a competition. Of course someone can, if the stakes are high.

I don't think its too big of a problem to catch any cheater. And if he/she's caught - he/she gets banned from CE for life. Fair deal.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    may be we are deviating here.
    All major organisations have networks divided into Subnets and creation of a million IDs is as well possible(ok.. may be few 10s of them), I guess you are taking reference from the popularity soaps where people change thier SIMs to votefor someone,

Again, you need to authenticate that email which comes in your mail box. i am not quite sure if someone is ready to create tens of mail Ids and user Ids just to take pain to fool around.

anyways,being fair or not is within CE.
    If voting itself is creating so much problem, hehe, Admin can always impsoe rules that only people with >10 posts can vote that would take some 8.5 hrs + 15mins for each user =150mins..
    so lets not go all over there, instead of seeing how to fruad, may be we should discuss what can be done to enhance the experince further πŸ˜€
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    i think the third option is good... πŸ˜€
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    The_Big_K
    Again, its not very easy, first of all you need unique email ID to create an account on CE. Also, many registrations during a short period of time (suspicious activity) is easily caught - and all of them voting for one person - isn't hard to catch. I wonder any sane person will actually do this just to win a competition. Of course someone can, if the stakes are high.

I don't think its too big of a problem to catch any cheater. And if he/she's caught - he/she gets banned from CE for life. Fair deal.
    I was just pointing out that the 1 option is more reliable than the 2 option. If someone has to do it, he will most certainly not do it in a short time of 10 hrs overnight but say for a week, from announcement of competition till the announcement of results.

@Durga I'm just discussing the pros & cons of the options. I don't think thats diversion from the topic.
  • Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal
    Third option is good
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    The Great Ash will have the final say in judging *evil laugh*

Though, in all seriousness, the third option is worth the shot though I'd rather have both the judges and public voting to decide the winners (with a sort of weightage system). Besides, we had touched upon for a hybrid judging system for the CEan of the Month award before.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    For me, third option is good.
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    option 3 is preferable with the addition that only members with say 20+ posts(10 is too low. 20 spams in forum can be easily caught) are allowed to vote.
    The judges or the mods will look for anything that might be suspicious
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    Yep. The third option seems to be the best to me.

If you feel that there could be some malpractices in public voting, we can always reduce the weightage of the number of votes.

In any competition, the entries should be discretely sent to the email of the admin. A judging panel should be formed. They should assess the entries and they should rank them. They can, say, give marks from 1 to 10 to the entries.

Then, the entries are put up in the forum and open for voting. After the voting period is over, count the no. of votes each person has got.

Now, we can decide upon the weight for the judges' decision and the no. of votes. If we feel judges should have more authority, we can keep the weights as 60/40. If public opinion is more important, it can be made 40/60.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    with out all these, How it will be appointing the non CE members as judges? And making their decision as final and unquestionable??

I think its possible!! what do you say?
  • vik001ind
    vik001ind
    judges should have more authority. 60/40 is good
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    sahithi pallavi
    with out all these, How it will be appointing the non CE members as judges? And making their decision as final and unquestionable??

I think its possible!! what do you say?
    Well, that's a good option. But again, finding competent persons who are willing to judge for us is a problem. Finding good judges might also include spending some more money for the sake of them. It'll add to the overhead of the competition..
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    yes...let judges select the top contenders then make it open for voting. Judges will have more weightage to their votes than members(70/30 better as it no of users is much more than the judges)

also, as pallavi said, regular members can be made judges once in a while. This will generate more interest and better participation of members too
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    paying for judges is a bad idea. We can have the mods and K be the judge most of the time and have an extra 1 or 2 regular member join the judges panel. K can decide whom to make that extra judge depending on whatever criteria he sets.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    Here what I am saying is, without any public voting and all, just using non CE-members(chosen by Biggie,mods) as the judges makes worth I think. And if making it as a final judgement. I think no problems will arise if we use this.

Correct me if I am wrong!
  • optimystix
    optimystix
    we may be wasting some good members as judges who could have contributed qualitatively on those competitions/events.

and leaving the control out totally is not such a good idea according to me. a public-private partnership should be the way i think πŸ˜‰
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    We want to be transparent and I too feel a mix of judges and public voting will do the job. Let's see how we can implement this in our next competition.
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    When is the next competition going to be??
  • CIVILPRINCESS
    CIVILPRINCESS
    yeah when is the next one....:?:

waiting for it...😁 (for participating and also voting )
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    What about taking votes from public (nominations) for around 5-10 participants and then panel of judges selects the final winners.

This way, we will take care of public voting as well as, technicality of any competition as well.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Short list best candidates around 5 which will be done through judges!

Then ask the members to mail to Admin or some mail id , thier votes!

Give only one or two days for voting!

The person voting must declare few statements why he is voting to the particular candidate, he need to give few sentences about that candidate's presentation!

He need to give his CE - User name as well , and more over voting should be only available for people with CE - Network ID , such that you get track of requests prior!

We can check the user name and ignore the spam votes!
  • Anil Jain
    Anil Jain
    Its not a reality show... Do you think all the members would read all the blogs, or all the members would read all the presentations with supporting documents.

I am sure they will not, they will read 2 or 3 entries, either on first come first serve basis or of popular members. Other entries will go un-noticed.

Your views Please.

-CB
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Yeah thats correct!

thats why I have said that Judges and Admin will short list best 5!!

Then people are asked to read the best 5 πŸ˜€

By doing this we can avoid spamming and favouritism!

PS:: Its just my idea though, if not feasible dont consider!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Taken from Matt Mullenweg's blog post: WP.com DowntimeSummary β€” Blog β€” WordPress.com Today WordPress.com was down for approximately 110 minutes, our worst downtime in four years. The outage affected 10.2...
is it really worth to pay money to consultances that promise to offer a job? I know some of the consultancies that says that if I pay money to them,...
can any body tell me si there any trick by which we can talk by inserting sim in laptop just like we inset memory card in it 😁
Hi! This is vijay.I m a student of B.TECH. Final year EEE.I need a latest & advanced ELECTRICAL topic for Seminar which is highly-stuffed with content as well as images.I...
The Boeing 727 House, in Benoit (Mississippi, USA). The plane set Joanne Ussary back $2,000.00, cost $4,000.00 to move, and $24,000.00 to renovate. The Spaceship House, in Chattanooga (TN, USA)....