Cross country education

The context here is : Permitting US universities to set up their campuses in INDIA. That's a great idea and will allow low income families to afford good education, though I presume the fee structure will be almost same, the living expenses ( which are quite high) are not meant to be incurred.

So what is you take on it? it is being anticipated that 70% of Brain drain will stop because of this major step taken, but I somehow feel many other factors such as: country's economy, strong affability towards better living might actually influence the decision

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Talking about the Indian context here, do you think Indian students move to foreign universities because they offer good education? I can bet that Indian students move to foreign universities because they think MS degree would guarantee them a job and then help them settle there.

If Indian students were interested in education then we'd not have such a poor quality of engineers coming out of engineering colleges. Trust me, what you suggest is good - but has nothing to do with brain drain.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    That is what my point is! That this idea ( not mine - INDIAN GOV's to allow Foreign unis ) wont realyl yeild results what they anticipate.All these years- the pretext of higher education was made to Go Abroad. Good higher studies are well off in other major non-US unis as well, but I don't see students being really behind Good education.
    Brain drain wont stop :- as now on we might get to here - There is education but no opportunity to use that education.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'd bet (again) that the politicians behind this have their 'personal interest' in this initiative. Sad 😔
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    I agree with biggie here.
    Politicians are going to earn lot of money through this again!

Next the Indian students who go abroad to study for earning part time enjoying life there and finally settling there to have a luxurious life. Yeah nothing to do with brain drain!
    But few student who are interested in innovation etc.. will be benefited!
  • Vega
    Vega
    This step won't stop brain drain but surely help providing quality education in affordable rate. Students will not have to miss Indian food while they study. This is also a very big advantage. Indian universities will get to learn and compare their standard. All in all, a good move.
  • tashirosgt
    tashirosgt
    Universities in the USA cannot support themselves from tuition. They rely on subsidies from the government and donations. Opening a branch of the university in a foreign company does not make sense as a commercial venture for universities. If educating foreign students was part of the charter or mission of a university then it might open a foreign branch. Some universities do have limited programs in foreign countries, but they are for purposes like studying foreign languages or the history of another country.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @tashirosgt: Well said. In my opinion, setting up campuses in various countries won't do the trick. A university is zero without its professors. I bet if Stanford and MIT setup campuses elsewhere, the new campuses won't really match with the original Standford and MIT; because the professors will be different.

I'd rather support setting up better Internet Infrastructure which would be very cost effective than setting up university campuses. Students from various parts of the world will be able to learn from the masters from their own homes/campuses. Also, there could be a mechanism which will allow these students to interact with professors and other students online.

Say what?
  • gohm
    gohm
    I agree with the last two posts. Seems it would be easier to open up additional branches of existing colleges. Having a program where university administrators can spend time at foreign campuses would help them to learn operational and management practices from successful global schools. Also, i think part of the great college experience is to experience something new, including environment. Whether that is at a foreign university or in another state/region of your own nation.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

how can i learn ansys online? i mean is there any video tutorial series or any other such site.....?
I see that many universities are conducting exams in this month and April. What's the last date of exam in your university? It will help us in scheduling activities/competitions on...
Source: Longtime Facebook Engineer Yishan Wong Departs Wong joined Facebook in late 2005 as a software engineer after a prior 4.5 year stint as senior engineering director at PayPal. Wong...
Source: Apple iPhone 3GS – Buy Apple 3G iPhone from Airtel Stores in India On March 26, 2010, AirTel will launch iPhone 3GS in India and guess what the prices...
hello..i m prashanth . .can u suggest me a topic related to ppt . topic should have more applications in our day to day life and if possible suggest me...