Critique this website's design, please; will you?

I'm requesting all our CEans to cricique the design of this website. We already have received feedback from many CEans here and via email in private, and we've noted them all. 

When we launched the new website, we were super focused on simplifying design. In the past ~4 months we've learned a lot of new things and believe that we can have lots of improvements in place. 

For example, on mobile layout - new visitors have no way of knowing about other apps. Then, we've not made provisions for gamification - social points and rewards for user activities. 

It's all coming really soon; but we'll need to tweak the design and layout to accommodate it all. Would really appreciate your feedback once again. 

Please write: -

Two things I'd modify in CrazyEngineers design: - 

1. (colors?)(layout?)(menu?)(sidebars?) Write whatever!

2. Go on, don't hold it off. We *need* your help and suggestions!

I'm tagging #-Link-Snipped-# sir, #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# , #-Link-Snipped-# . Please write your suggestions and tag others, if you wish. 

This feedback is super critical for us as we start the next phase in CE. 

Replies

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I don’t have too much problems. A clean and no nonsense layout is in line with an engineering forum.

For one thing, why should the whole page, postings as well as the side panel, scroll together?

Is there a technical reason why the discussion panel alone cannot be scrolled, while the rest remain fixed?

I shall try to keep adding a bit more in a while.

• Manish Goyal
    Manish Goyal

Everything is ok, but one thing I would like to suggest is improve home page so user can get an idea of what this website is all about

Right now it just shows a image with login button

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Really appreciate your quick responses. 

#-Link-Snipped-# sir - We've made a note of it. It's definitely coming up in the next design iteration. 

#-Link-Snipped-# - yes, we are aware. Current homepage is plain and cold - doesn't give user any idea about CE. The new homepage is already under construction and it is going to be lot more interesting. 

Waiting for feedback from everyone. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-# sir - We've made a note of it. It's definitely coming up in the next design iteration.

Thanks.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The above is a second issue I wanted to raise. I copied a bit from #-Link-Snipped-# 's post, selected the quote icon, 'Increase', and pasted my selection, then I posted my response under this. Yet when I clicked the post reply button, my response gets posted as part of the quote.

This was the second item that I wanted to mention as it happens to me every time I try to quote. Possibly I am making a mistake in using the quote facility.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# sir, it's a bug that we're aware of. The 'quote' button does not function like in the old forum. Really sorry for the inconvenience. It's already on the bug to be fixed list; but will need some extra functionality. We're keeping it on hold until the next overhaul. Hopefully we should be able to roll it out really soon. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# - I think you've joined the site recently. What's your take? 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

In a long discussion thread it takes quite a bit of scrolling navigating.  It may be useful to have options "Go to the last post" and "Go to the top".

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yes, go to the top can be easily implemented. Go to last post is available on the index page. Clicking on "Xyz replied 2 minutes ago" will take the user directly to the last reply. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Thanks a lot. It worked.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

The problem with updating profile data on 'settings' seems to continue.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# sir, another problem that's being fixed with a profile overhaul. Significant changes are being made to the site's design and layout. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Thanks a lot.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Earlier members wanting a more specific information, not necessarily of general interest, could send a private message to another. This doesn’t seem to be available now. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Private messages are being worked upon in the form of real time chat between members. We figured out that we need a few more social features to increase the overall activity on the site.

We have made a list of all the suggestions and currently deciding the priority of each. As we go on adding more apps and make existing apps better; we're going to need some change in the layout. 

I plan to list out a set of proposed features in coming days. We ourselves need more clarity on how CE will grow in coming months and that's what we're working on. 

Yes, a lot of the features that even we miss from the old site will make a re-entry in the new update. 

• Jeffrey Arulraj
    Jeffrey Arulraj

When you come home after a while and see all things arranged and branded newly you will be Like WOW! what has happened here ..

This is what I felt on logging in after a long time. Kudos to the team on the New UI

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# That's a great compliment. Thanks. We hope you enjoy the new design and ease of access. Lots of new features and UI updates are in the pipeline. Hopefully, everyone will benefit from it.

• Ashraf Husni Zai
    Ashraf Husni Zai

Hi Biggie and Team. Ash here, logged in with a new email so I guess it's not linked with my old profile. Firstly congrats to the new design, looks fresh and modern. I'm still getting around to adapt with the navigation. To be honest, I'm more used to previous forum style, easier to track topics and read threads. Some questions:

1. Are all the engineering disciplines lumped under Technical?

2. I don't see the time/date stamps for replies, is this intentional?

3. Are font sizes adjustable? Might reduce the scrolling needed for long threads.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#  - Awesome to see you back. We had to launch Discussions app because we had to carry all the old discussions to the new site. However, the focus was on keeping things simple.

There are layout and navigation changes coming soon because while this layout is easy, it makes things bit difficult on the mobile layout. We're going to make things more discoverable and a lot easier to navigate. The plan is already being finalised. 

We'll launch a 'Groups' app where people interesting in specific topics can interact better. WIth Groups launched, the 'Discussions' will become our own little 'Quora' with wide range of topics and general discussions. Mixing everything in one place doesn't make much sense. 

PS: Regular email/password based login is making its re-entry with the new layout. 

• Anoop Kumar
    Anoop Kumar

Please give auto-save posts. I composed a long reply and lost because session got last and I copied something else. 

I was so depressed, I didn't write again  ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Planned feature. Coming soon.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

I am a student in Electronics domain. And I want to know if better opportunities can come my way if i join CDAC rather than TCS? Another reason for me...
TE has this to say about the future for Two Wheelers:http://www.te.com/usa-en/industries/truck-bus-off-road-vehicles/insights/connected-two-wheeler.html?te_bu=ict&te_type=other&te_campaign=oth_glo_two-wheel-sae&elqCampaignId=26828
I have completed BTech in cs two years back and working in a pvt software company. I wish to study further for better package of salary .what courses I can...
The Machine Design magazine's article:Much of the world’s electricity comes from turbines powered by steam created by the heat from nuclear reactors, solar collectors, and burning fossil fuels. Most of...
You can learn the latest techniques in electromechanical design in this live webinar:https://www.plm.automation.siemens.com/global/en/webinar/electromechanical-design/36247