Cricketer Sachin Tendulkar is Group Captain of IAF. Why?

Indian cricketer Sachin Tendulkar being presented with the honorary rank of Group Captain by the Chief of Indian Air Force, PV Naik at a ceremony in New Delhi on September 03, 2010.

I've nothing against Sachin Tendulkar. He's the GOD of Cricket.

The question is, why are movie & cricket stars are chosen for these honorary awards? Why not other eminent personalities from other professions like Engineering, Journalism, Art, other sports/games, medicine?

Don't get me wrong. Sachin Tendulkar is extra-ordinary. But I think Indians are biased towards cricket and movie stars. I don't see any point in a movie start being awarded great civilian awards - just because his/her films are popular.

Replies

• manishks
    manishks
    There's a history of cricket and movies in our country. Engineering, medical and other professional fields were seen as a source of earning daily bucks. Cricket and movies were seen as a way of becoming popular. We cannot change the trend untill the mindset of indians is changed. In 21st century also media is promoting cricket and movie stars. I wonder why the movie stars need to campaign to promote their films.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Musicfreakmandy: I get your point. What I wonder is whether 'popularity' is a parameter for the awards and honors.
  • Sahithi Pallavi
    Sahithi Pallavi
    I read this news in the morning. What I thought is..

why are movie & cricket stars are chosen for these honorary awards? Why not other eminent personalities from other professions like Engineering, Journalism, Art, other sports/games, medicine?
    yes, exactly I thought this. I completely agree with Biggie.

But Sachin was really a Cricket Hero who ruled the world. He is great!

Seems Popularity is a serious factor they are considering, that's why they are offering the prestigious Padmasris, Padma Bhusans, Bharat Ratnas, other big big awards to film stars. Really what they done to our society?

Correct me if am wrong!!
  • Suriyanarayan
    Suriyanarayan
    First of all i am a great fan sachin.. I admire his character and humbleness.

He was presented with group captain position in IAF . i dont know how much he is connected with aviation. He himself told that he was too scared to fly in the fighter jet..

He is not going to do anything as a captain in IAF..

My opinion is that these honourable positions should be given to the military personnel who deserves most.. right from the young age he is serving for our nation and he will be..

so give some awards to the filmstars and cricketers to honour their success.. but dont take the place of a talented soldier..
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    These honourary positions are usually given to the most popular people and in India Cricketerd s and Movie Stars are very popular. This is mostly for publicity. By giving Tendulkar this honourary title, they also make him their brand ambassador. People in Engineering and Medicine and Journalism can not be used because their identity doesn't match with the advertising. Tell me how would it feel to watch a well known and famous doctor ask youngsters to join the forces? He/She may be excellent in his/her vocation but doesn't have the mass appeal that is require here.
    Even movie stars are not brand ambassadors of forces. Forces mostly use sports persons. Air Force had to give Sachin this honour since they don't have many sportmen of their own. Unlike Army which has many boxers, shooters and others. Rajyavardhan Singh Rathore is an Olympic Silver medallist and earlier it was Major Dhyan Chand. There are many other names.
    I guess with the coming of players in other sports, eg Vijendra Singh in Boxing, Saina Nehwal in Badminton, our archers won the archery world cup gold yesterday.....we can hope to see other brand ambassadors besides cricketers and movie stars.

@Suriyanarayan: All Air Force people are not connected with aviation. Only a few are. He is here as a brand ambassador and will help promote Air Force. Military personals can not be given honourary positions since they are already serving in the force. So Sachin has not taking the place of and is not replacing anyone. He is just advertising Air Force and will be wearing the uniform of a Group Captain while doing it.
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    @Patty: That's a neat explanation. Thanks!
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    @Patty: Pretty good explanation!

I thought like this, Since all these people reach many audience , and they have done something to their country ,I mean if we talk about Sachin he is the first person to score 200 in ODI he got a personal record. moreover, he made India's name shine.
    So I thought this might be the reason!

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

hi. I am new to this site. Its interesting. I have done my Btech in Mech Engg. Is there any short term courses i can do other than piping? Please...
Gate 2011 notification is out today. IIT chennai is organizing institute this time. GATE 2011 - Graduate Aptitude Test in Engineering CEans who are interested in GATE 2011 like me.....we...
HI I have done Btech mech ani i would like to know more about Quality Courses in India and its scope. Please.. ThanKs..
Hey guys i have a doubt in C++.... Here is a program.... #include #include void main() { float a=0.7; cout<
Entrepreneurship Cell, IIT Kharagpur has launched its Business Plan Competitions. The different competitions are as follows: Concipio: Concipio is the annual in-house BPlan competition, open only to students and alumni...