Creative Craziness for CEans

Got in the mail:
Creative Mania and Obsession

If you are a creative person and you are internally driven to passionately make meaning as Eric Maisel describes in his creativity book, Coaching the Artist Within, then you are a good candidate for developing what he calls “positive obsession” and “mitigated mania” in the course of doing your creative work.

Positive Obsession, Negative Obsession

Maisel carefully explains that making meaning with passion, drive, etc. serves to spark and generate the massive amount of #-Link-Snipped-# To maintain that high energy level, you may need to encourage a “positive obsession” in yourself.

This is a state where we obsess over our work. Obsess possibly in an obtrusive and recurrent way, but also in an “appropriate and wanted” way, obsession being a “passionately held idea that serves your meaning-making needs.”Maisel is careful to note that this type of obsessing is in strong contrast to a negative obsession. A negative obsession or “passionately held idea that serves no good purpose” is to be avoided, of course.

Love What You Do

A positive obsession helps you to “love your own projects, your own ideas, and your own creative impulses” and thereby generates the mental energy needed to support your creativity in a fierce and fiery way.

All Out Mania: Too Much of a Good Thing?

Sometimes a creative person will become so engrossed in their work, so entranced, so obsessed, that they reach a pathological state known as mania. Maisel insists there is a distinction to be made between the energized artist who mediates the mania, who retains control of their life and mind, who is able to control the level of mania sufficiently to survive it without cracking vs. the artist who is not able to do that and loses all control.

Obsession: to the Exclusion of Others

Maisel makes another distinction between the positive and negative aspects of mania – the flipside of a positive obsession, of a self-absorbed artist who is creating at break neck speed, is that you will treat the people around you badly. This is a potential issue to be aware of and look out for.

Finding A Certain Balance

So the trick is to be able to generate the mental energy/passion you need to get the work done, but to maintain enough control and balance to handle the consequences of that passionate energy. In other words, let go and create passionately with fire in your belly and yet … keep a grip on things sufficient that you do not derail, flame out, burn out or worse.

If knowledge is power, what step(s) can you take to energize yourself, and to protect yourself while you go about your life purpose#-Link-Snipped-#?
by Barbara Martinin

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Got in the mail: THIS IS WHY WITNESSES ARE ONLY 50%ACCURATE! "Officer the light was GREEN not pink!" If your brain works normally this is neat. This is another example...
hi dis s s.pandiraj from tirunelveli ,I completed my u.g ,And now i am searching for job.
suggest me the topics for minor and major projects for final year.(mechanical engg.)
job vaccancies
Now a days I have lot of free time(waiting for my call letter). So I am planning to read some books. Suggest me some books. (based on entrepreneurship )