CrazyEngineers Updated: Have you noticed the changes?

CrazyEngineers just got updated, and we're calling it version 1.0.1. You can see the version information in the footer, just below CE's logo. While we do plan to have a separate section on the site where we'll publish changelog, here's what this version brings -

BugFixes:

1. Reply functionality has been fixed - it now prevents double-posting. Give it a try!

2. Social sharing buttons now appear correctly below discussions and news articles.

3. Profile settings now save middle-name properly. 

4. Layout fixes - the layout now supports more devices than ever. Please help us test it. 

5. GDPR related updates to privacy policy and ToS. Disclaimer: We're still working on achieving 100% compatibility. 

6. Trending news now appears correctly.

7. Pagination has been fixed. It's now better and more intuitive.

8. Profile image upload issue solved. 

9. Improved '@mentions' for users. 

10. Editor related issues. 

11. Relative time everywhere (on Discussions and News)

12. General design related bugfixes.

New Features: 

1. Flash Notifications: We now provide a visual feedback for the important actions like New Discussion Created or Edited, New Reply Created or Edited etc.

2. Discussions list now shows - 1. Who updated the discussion 2. Direct link to the last reply on the discussion. 

3. Ads for guests ?

...more coming soon! Let us know your feedback.

Replies

• Ambarish Ganesh
    Ambarish Ganesh

The site looks awesome now! ? 

• Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare

Loved the fact that when I upload my profile picture, the system says I look like a movie star. ? Heehaw!

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - could you confirm that the updates are now visible on the site? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

We've published few more updates -

1. '@mention' now triggers an email notification to the mentioned users. We hope this will help all our fellow engineers stay up to date with the conversations that require their attention.

2. Further font changes. I personally think we've the best font ever in the history of CrazyEngineers ?

3. Notifications are now uniform throughout the site. 

4.  Page title now has numbering (visible in the browser tab) like "Page #2" when browsing inner pages (paginated). 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Now 'post reply' works perfectly. Good show, #-Link-Snipped-#‍ and team.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

You could try uploading your avatar as well. ? I had to work really hard to make it work the way it does now. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Unable to update profile. Get "Something went wrong' message". 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Will look into it. No need to save profile after uploading the photo. I will look into the problem tomorrow.

• Radhika Deshpande
    Radhika Deshpande

Checking link issue  - 

Old Video -Engineering Forum - CrazyEngineers Covered on UTVi - YouTube

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Awesome!! But I am still being referred as joined in 2018 :) I joined way back in 2009.

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

I loved the pop-up once the reply is posted! Very user friendly!!

• Anjali Kulkarni
    Anjali Kulkarni

It is good now and very easy it use now with this update I am happy but I lost my last login that was save in my browser. Is there any way to get it back....

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - It's your merged profile from IO. But we'll fix that in coming days. 

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - As long as the email on your profile is associated with any of the social accounts, you can retain your old account. 

If you need help, please send email to "hello@crazyengineers.com" and we'll be happy to help. 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Ok thanks, what is the timeout set now? I login and with no activity is it 30 mins only? 

Could we increase it ?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - Login persists for about 120 minutes; but there is a chance it could reset before that; but not in 30 minutes. We're going to switch session handling to dedicated cache server in coming days; so those bugs should get ironed out. 

But we'll have to be sure that the session isn't timing out earlier than what's set. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - that's an old video ? . Shows how the site looked about a decade ago when it was covered on TV. 

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

- Emoji still not visible to me !

- We need Quote feature directly !

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ - it's really a strange issue. Are emoticons invisible only in the smiley panel (see pic below) 

UUGg-Screen Shot 2018-05-31 at 9.54.30 AM.png

Or you are unable to view smilies inside posts as well like this -> ? 

Is anyone else facing this issue? We've tested on multiple browsers; but smilies seem to be working absolutely fine. We'll need to identify the root cause of the issue. 

Quote feature : 

When planning for new CE, we decided to drop the 'quote' to reply feature; because it was abused by lot of newbie members; who'd quote the entire post to write 'thank you' or a one line reply.

However, it's true that sometimes, it's just more convenient to quote someone. I think one better way to address this issue would be to bring back 'select to quote' feature. Whenever the user selects text using mouse - a pop-up appears that says 'Quote'. It then gets automatically added to the reply box. 

I'm writing down this feature for future consideration. Let me know how would you like it to work. 

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

This is how it looks like.. 

06Bd-1527742048603.png

• Harshad Italiya
    Harshad Italiya

However, it's true that sometimes, it's just more convenient to quote someone. I think one better way to address this issue would be to bring back 'select to quote' feature. Whenever the user selects text using mouse - a pop-up appears that says 'Quote'. It then gets automatically added to the reply box.  

This is going to be good enough. Atleast it gives some links to what we refer to.

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I tried posting a link on one discussion. It seems to work now. It did not the last few times I tried yesterday and before. Shall keep a watch and report any odd  behaviour.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, #-Link-Snipped-#‍ faced the issue too; but even she could not reproduce it. At this time, we're still trying to find out a way to identify if there are any special types of links that are causing issue. YouTube links seem to be working absolutely fine. 

I request all our fellow CEans to let us know if they find any odd behaviour. It'd be awesome if you could note down the error messages, if any. It saves a lot of time in investigating the issue. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Interesting. I tried to post a link from a search engine here just now. It did not post.

This is the message that did not post:

Let me try. This is the type of link from a search engine that would not upload.

https://scholar.google.co.in/scholar?hl=en&as_sdt=0%2C5&q=Uploading+links&btnG=

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I delinked the address above. The plain text address gets posted. I get a feeling that links to search engines may be the problem. I am adding a link to this page itself as a check.

#-Link-Snipped-#

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir - I think I've found the issue. It definitely isn't something we could have caught during testing. Will report back once this is fixed. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

I have a grouse.

I was on technical discussions and wanted to check general. I tapped general. Nothing seemed to happen. After three trials I realised that it was on general all the while. It went too fast and there was no screen flicker. Since I was looking at the pick a topic panel I missed the change having taken place. I just coughed to hide my embarrassment and went on with my activity.

I should report the site for over speeding!

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

? Good to know it's faster; and we haven't yet enable cache server. We've an interesting update going live in the next few hours (or a day, maybe?).

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Earlier there was a useful option to post a link to a particular post elsewhere in other discussions. This seems to be missing now. Could that be added?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, did you mean links to content on CrazyEngineers within posts?

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, did you mean links to content on CrazyEngineers within posts?

That's right.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

We currently have normal links; which don't get converted to linked titles. We do want to have that facility; but it will be introduced in later versions. 

We're currently working on bringing the search facility. It will make it easier to link to other content on CE.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Update

Search is an important feature that's missing from CrazyEngineers now and we're working on it. While figuring out the most optimal solution to enable search - we found out that the way our 'Discussions' app is structured internally needs a major change. 

...and we're about to begin working on it. 

The way discussions and replies are handled on CE internally is going to be changed to enable search features. We expect to launch the search feature with our upcoming new app. 

I'll keep everyone posted. In the mean time, if you have questions, let me know below. 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

Can we also have the stats displayed ? What i mean by that is , a page or app dedicated for analytics on  the website. It should display the number of threads and number of new threads section wise, and number of replies. That gives a better insight.

If you have setup google analytics to this website, you will get all those things pretty easily. But if we can display a summary somewhere, it really helps and motivates people :)

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

We do track them internally, but there's no immediate plan to build a public facing UI around it. 

That said, the updated profiles will have pretty graphs showing how you are doing on CE. It's going to be rad, mark my words! ? 

As I said, there's a bigger problem to be addressed at this time - and we're on it. 

• saandeep sreerambatla
    saandeep sreerambatla

One more thing that needs your #-Link-Snipped-#‍ attention is in the old forum we had a option to report posts and Moderators were able to see that. Do we have it anywhere now?

And secondly, have that in place and any reply for threads over 2 years must be auto reported and only after manual verification by a Moderator we will post them, since just looked at that Intex power bank post which is older than 3 years and a spammer spammed it. So its ideal for us just to report everything which is replied on a thread which was over 1.5 or 2 years?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Yes, the rewrite would also include better spam management tools. Our idea is to prevent spam from entering the system and we will definitely have a 'Report Spam' button that's similar to the one on Downloads App. 

We also want to keep the human intervention to minimum. If the spammer spams and that post is removed, we are now likely to push the thread back to its original position before spamming. 

It's a major rewrite and work is under progress. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Entering details (DOB, Gender and such) in settings is still a problem. I get an error message each time.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-#‍ sir, thank you for reporting this. I understood the problem. Will fix it. I'll have to remove the screenshot for security purpose. 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Just updated the home-page to show real-time user count. We're planning to make this even more interesting for logged-in users. 

1m1b-Screen%20Shot%202018-10-01%20at%205.29.07%20PM.png

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

There used to be a reporting option for posts to ease the stress for CE monitors. Is there any problem to have it in this version?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Coming soon 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

On the log in page we can see the number of CEans registered and the latest entrant. It appears as though approximately one new member per minute is registered, which is pretty high.

Is any real time analysis of this done?

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

#-Link-Snipped-# sir, yes, it's a live feed of who's registering on the site; and we are happy that the number went up drastically (~10x) after the launch of new site. 

We are tracking all the numbers internally and plan to make these available to everyone once we launch a dashboard for every logged-in member. We'll be able to see who are the recently registered members and some interesting stats about the site.

Right now, the bigger challenge is to capture attention of maximum number of registered engineers - and that's why we're working on introducing social features like 'Follow an engineer', 'personal messaging' and there's a bigger plan to introduce 'credits' where users will be able to earn credits for their actions or contribution to the site. 

As I said in my earlier posts, the new platform allows us to do lot of interesting things. We are super short on manpower right now; but are making progress daily. We all should see more changes in coming days - and they are all awesome! 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

... We knew CE represents engineers from all disciplinesQYk1-Screenshot%202018-10-12%20at%207.55.10%20PM.png

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

#-Link-Snipped-# , you mean all indisciplines !

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Lot of new, and interesting changes coming up! ? ? 

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

We are happy to introduce CrazyEngineers Global Search. Did you notice the 'Search' icon in the top navigation? 

Clicking on it opens a new search page where you can search entire site and get results. Give it a try; you'll love it. 

PS: I think it's high time that we need an official blog to post all "Behind the Scenes" updates. What say? Plus, a brand new feature is being worked on. 

• Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath

Worked very well. Too well, if you ask me. Information overload.

#-Link-Snipped-# , Official Blog seems to be a good idea. More direct.

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare

Thank you. The first thing I searched was my own name and found several alter egos! :-D

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In Se i have failed in 2 subjects and in 1 subject i got after revaluation total 39 marks out of 40 in 1 attempt. And in 2 attempt i...
Ever since going live, we're fighting with an unexpected problem - the spam we're getting through the 'Contact Us' page on the site. Though we have Google's latest reCAPTCHA service...
When you haven't yet started your own business, any kind of worry can bog you down. One such big question in the minds of to-be entrepreneurs is whether to start...
These cups are shorter in size. They can be expanded like telescope and used it for drinking water or juice. after use, again press it to shorter size.