Crazy Ideas For Tapping The Solar Energy

Folks!

A lot has been said about solar energy and its uses. However, we haven't been able to make the best possible use of solar energy till today.

Why not post our wackiest ideas about tapping solar energy? If you have an idea, drop it here. Let's see what can we do about it. If we device a method of tapping of solar energy and making it available for the masses, we'll change the world in a big way!

Replies

• shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    Looks like one more project is going to get added to the list of never-ever-get-complete projects 😁
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    CE Labs is not just a place to discuss projects πŸ˜‰

[PS: Shalini, give CE some time. We're going to have wonderful projects.]
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Solar energy mainly consists of two types: Solar heat and Photovoltaics (your standard solar cell).

The easiest way to harness the sun's power is using the heat energy to heat things like water and even cook food. The latter uses a device called a sun furnace, which focuses the sun's rays into a narrow intense heat beam. Temperatures can reach 3000[sup]o[/sup]c, so other than cooking, you can create a steam turbine πŸ˜€

Photovoltaics is a promising technology, but it is not economical yet. Average efficiencies is around 20%, up to 40% if you use expensive GaAs materials. You can increase energy output by designing trackers, which will point the panels perpedicular to the sun's rays as much as it can.. from sunrise to sunset.

So, what kind of wacky ideas can you think of? How about cooking cheese omelette out in the sun? Or running your scooter entirely out of PV?
  • shalini_goel14
    shalini_goel14
    The_Big_K
    Shalini, give CE some time. We're going to have wonderful projects.
    I completed one year here but could not see even a single project completion.Reason I know very well so don't tell me that "give CE some time". CE, was having time and time from last 3 years(ok lets make it 2 years)

The_Big_K
    We're going to have wonderful projects.
    What wll happen to those wonderful projects which have been discussed for more than a year and then left in between? If no one is interested in them, close them simply right?

Why such incompleted and pending things here?πŸ˜•
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Please avoid off topic discussions in this thread.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    ... still searching for funds? *grin*

I advise avoiding P.V. stuff as a start, unless you aim for small scale.. like recharging mobile phones. I've received quotations of $1500 for some decent solar generators to power laptops for 12 hours. Thats a really good case to use solar trackers, haha.

It'll be fun to make solar furnaces though. My car can be one.. the interior gets so hot during the day. I probably can put some temperature probes in there to see what it can cook πŸ˜›
  • YourTechMate
    YourTechMate
    connecting a high power solar battery system to dual energy car, this energy will be sufficient enough to get incorporated in STOP START car technology to support car accessories while car is in stop mode, without effecting existing battery of the car...

Let me know if you like the thought..
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    solar => only while day time right?
    can we store energy during day times and harness and utilise same during cloudy/non sunny times?
  • raj87verma88
    raj87verma88
    I remember a James Bond Movie with the theme of Solar Power. The Solar Power plant was quite impressive
    I think its name was The Man With the Golden Gun. That little French Guy called Knick-Knack and Cristopher Lee as Scaramanga. Roger Moore was Agent 007.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    @ durga
    Usually, you'll choose solar panels that can both power your device AND recharge the battery. So during the day, the battery will recharge, and during the night or cloudy times, the battery will take over. There are cases where you have a battery that can provide a total of 5 days of power for back up purposes πŸ˜€

Our CubeSat project team just received thin film solar cells from the US. Each cell measures 11 cm x 3.6 cm.. gives a voltage of 3V and max S.C current of 50mA. It's quite awesome.. its like less than a millimeter thin, and you roll and even cut it into shape! Price is about $6 each.

Link: #-Link-Snipped-#

Some possible ideas:
    Perhaps one can cover an umbrella with them? So while you walk under the blazing sun, you could recharge your phone or mp3 player.

Or, directly put it on your clothing. Solar jackets or shirts, anyone?

Keep in mind that they are useful for low power devices.
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    Thanks Ash!

yup! put it to a hat and have a micro fan attached to a hat .

during hot summer the solar energy provides power to the fan and fan gives out relief cool air!
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Yeah, even though that already exists (for around $10-15), we can make a cool CE Solar Cap! πŸ˜€ Add more merchandise for CE Gear πŸ˜‰
  • Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Saandeep Sreerambatla
    Hey we can design an AC suit such that the suit provides cooling and the surface absorbs the sun and gives it the energy.

how about wearing a watch which runs with solar energy and has back up as well at night.
    😁
  • gohm
    gohm
    Lately I have become convinced that in the near future solar thermal/csp energy generation will be the key. Until photovotaic improements are made, it will not be economically viable in large scale application like troughs or sterling engine dishes. Thoughts?
  • durga ch
    durga ch
    off topic( ignore)
    NEWS:
    Australian Gov to provide incentives for roof top solar panels installers.
    All roof tops to hold solar panels and wind power from wind farm to start off from june. πŸ˜€It makes me happy
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Thats great! I wish my government would provide incentives to individuals too. At the moment, incentives are restricted to businesses. Even so, not many business take advantage of that πŸ˜”

The other countries such as the US, electricity you generate from renewable sources can be sold back into the National grid! quite cool.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Plus many states offer rebates toward the installation costs, making it more feasible although still far from cheap or obtainable by the majority.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    gohm
    Plus many states offer rebates toward the installation costs, making it more feasible although still far from cheap or obtainable by the majority.
    Gohm, how much does it cost in the US to install a complete system (including battery backup) enough to generate a power of 500W?
  • gohm
    gohm
    Well, 500w system would not be very practical here. A minimal 1kW system will cost $6,000-$10,000 usd. Most homes here would need 2.5kW to produce 40-80% of electricity needed. This would cost $13,000+ usd.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Well, lets say I'm not aiming for going full off grid. Just would like to power some devices entirely out of solar. Are there smaller scale systems available? There are in Malaysia.. for example, the 500W system enough to power a laptop for 12 hours is around $1700.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Yes, you can build a small system. However most do not as it is not cost effective versus the change in carbon footprint.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    Hm, well, vendors in the US should actively start selling small scale devices first. Once people get used to powering devices entirely out of solar, they'll scale up over time once prices of P.V. panels go down, and efficiencies increase.
  • gohm
    gohm
    Well unfortunately I doubt it. People will not spend the money and time on a system that will have little visable benefit, then have to retrofit the system later for expansion. It has to be economically viable otherwise the mass populus will not adapt. That's why wind farms and solar heat collectors should be increased, along with careful hydro usage. Imporve the grid system and change at the remote generation source. Some advancement in hydro power would be good, a more efficient and green meathod other than dams.
  • Ashraf HZ
    Ashraf HZ
    I personally believe it is economically viable πŸ˜€ All you need to do is add more panels and batteries. The basic system (including inverter) is already there. P.V systems can be scaled up really well.

The issue of solar farms is the huge capital investment. It is really hard to convince investors unless there are government incentives. And the latter uses tax dollars. At least with home solar farms, part of the burden will be on those who are willing, and when they can give back to the grid, it is their reward.

Its kind of like the huge distributed and grid computing initiatives, where the computing power of public computers can be utilized when they are idle. Thats much cheaper than using a supercomputer πŸ˜€

[EDIT]
    Dug out some interesting information about P.V incentives in Malaysia. Turns out that there is a residential initiative about installing between 3KWp-10KWp systems at homes, with the gov subsiding up to 50%. However, it is a bidding process.. and there are limited allocations per yer. Every year, the cost of subsidy decreases, but the limitation of bids will be increased.

The cost of a 1KWp system would be around $7300, though to be able to bid you'll need to fork out atleast $11k (after the 50% subsidy) for the 3KWp system.

I'm a bit surprised at why this initiative is not being promoted more. Though, I agree $7300 is a lot, especially in Malaysia (we are still a developing country πŸ˜› ).. the gov should introduce smaller scale systems and promote the virtues of solar power even more. Also, the subsidy bidding is too limited.

According to their research, if they installed solar panels at every valid (panel suitable) rooftop in Malaysia, it can produce an output of 20% of Malaysia's total electrical demands.
  • gohm
    gohm
    How about a solar tower?! Never heard of this concept before, quite interesting. Plans are to build this 200 mW in the Austalian desert. A huge raised glass platform will focus the sun's rays to heat the surrounding air, which then thermo convects underneath up and through a large tower. Fans located at the base of the tower are turned by the moving air, generating electricity. Since this area receives 300+ days of sunshine, a great way to generate power plus Austalia currently generates most of it's power via coal (more than any other nation) so it is looking for alternate means. Link below for more info and pics. Thoughts?

#-Link-Snipped-#

vid link that I first saw this concept:

#-Link-Snipped-#
  • silverscorpion
    silverscorpion
    seems to be a good idea. But can it heat the air to such high temperature that it can move turbines on air movement?

And what about the efficiency? How does it compare with other methods??
  • Quoozy
    Quoozy
    Just jumping in here so maybe someone mentioned the idea.

Solar panels in outer space....I believe NASA is tossing ideas around about it. Seems expensive to me...it wouldn't be if we could get a shuttle to outer space at low cost...or that elevator thing made from nano-carbon tubes I believe. Don't know how they're going to protect that thing.
  • xero
    xero
    well lot of solar panel talk. I have naive vague idea. Well we all know that capturing solar power is expensive. However we seem to miss that fact that air gets lighter on higher temperatures, so movement of wind is higher and mostly upwards. Can't we do something about this rotation of air ?

Or we can use a balloon (big one) and can make use of the high wind flow at high altitudes.
  • Quoozy
    Quoozy
    I seen one in a magazine.
    It was tethered to the ground and was a somewhat oval shape with blades. Like you said at high altitudes and captured the wind. I like the idea cause I think it can be done...just gotta pull it down when a hurricane or tornado or something of the like hits it. I wonder how it is suppose to float up there? It won't be helium...I think they thought of a way around it.

I want to know why manufacturers make home wind turbine shut down at a level of high wind. Are they so cheaply made that the wouldn't hold up or is the generator only at peak efficiency between certain RPMs.

There is also another idea of placing a giant tail like fin machine in the ocean...letting the current flap this machine generating electricity.

Of course we all know there is no one solution but a combination of many. So far non of them can produce the same output like nuclear or coal...except magnetic fusion I think it's called...which they haven't accomplished yet and who know what side effects that will produce...disregarding what will happen if it blows.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

sir i am a B.tech student with I.T decipline and currently in my 6th sem.. sir after this sem i have to do my summer training for 8 weeks..kindly suggest...
hai friends, i am doing my final year project, as part of it i need to use a motor for linear motion guide which runs at 600 rpm and need...
Hi All, My sister will finish her 4th semester in May 2009. I was wondering if IIT delhi has any summer training / internship programs for students. If yes, could...
This question was posted in CE Conference by CEan - amitaries17 Anyone?
can anyone send me the circuit diagram of broadband emi sensor. a simple algoritm for differentiating clutters from landmines