CPU Fan Speed Too High Even After Troubleshooting

Hello CEans,

I would like your help in solving a problem that I am facing on my desktop. My desktop, a really old Compaq SR1931L was facing heating issues. Normally, I solve this problem by dusting the innards of the cabinet, especially the heat sink of the CPU. This time though, my vacuum cleaner was broken and I thought of doing what most experts recommend, removing the fan, cleaning the heat sink, cleaning the residual thermal grease that has dried up and applying a new coat. After carrying out the procedure, my problems remained the same. The BIOS interface showed that within seconds of starting my PC, the temperatures shot up to 65 degrees centigrade which forced the fans to move at over 4000 RPM.

Next, I visited the manufacturer’s website (HP, erstwhile Compaq) which recommended I reset my CMOS. This too did not solve the problem. I tried leaving my PC on for a few minutes (15 minutes to be exact) and yet the problem remained unsolved.

If any of you have faced a similar problem or know a solution, please reply to this conversation. If you have any questions, feel free to ask them too, I will try to reply at the earliest.

Replies

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Chinese Tech major Gionee has launched latest smartphone P5W in its Pioneer series, at a pocket-friendly price of Rs. 6,499 coming in 5 attractive colours such as white, black, blue,...
Texvyn Technologies introduces Texvyn Internship Program [TIP 2016], an unique Self Financed Program for Engineers. An objective of this program is to expose undergraduate students to live industrial knowledge which...
Scientists from Northwestern University, U.S. have discovered a hybrid polymer that has multiple capabilities and applications. It can mimic the human muscle functions to a greater accuracy than any other...
The social media titan Facebook has decided to shake things up, and rework the newsfeed algorithm to display posts based on user feedback. The company's team had a feed quality...
The German automaker giant Volkswagen has launched a revised and updated version of its mid-sized sedan Vento between Rs 7.70 lakh and Rs 11.90 lakh along with an updated Polo...