Counterweight Necessary Or Not - When Door is lifted using Hydraulic Cylinder

Hello Friends
I am doing my final year mechanical engineering... I got an Industrial Project.. A furnace door is opened and closed repeatedly to charge and discharge the steel block for the rolling process.. This door is being operated in chain and gear drives. The motor shaft connected to the Worm rotates thereby rotating the Worm Wheel which lifts the door using the Chain Drive. The Worm Wheel is connected to the shaft which in turn is connected to the pulley and the pulley lifts the door using the Chain Link. A counter weight is being added in the chain link..

We are replacing this using Hydraulic Systems.... My question is whether THE COUNTERWEIGHT IS NECESSARY OR NOT NECESSARY WHEN THE DOOR IS LIFTED USING THE HYDRAULIC CYLINDER???

Replies

• zaveri
    zaveri
    Some of the things are not clear: what kind of transmission system is used to lift the door ? is it chain and sprocket or is it belt and pulley ?

second : what kind of hydraulic cylinder are you using ? is it the reciprocating type ? or the rotary type (gear motor) ? if you are using the reciprocating type, then the counter weight may not be necessary, because the function of the counter weight is only to keep the rotating components in balance.

I think it would be better if you could post a sketch of the entire system here .

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

You get a call for an interview and it is scheduled the same day or the very next day. Most people I know are scared to face the interview and...
CyanogenMod Android firmware users have received an additional security feature on Monday with the incorporation of Open WhisperSystems' TextSecure protocol. Open WhisperSystems, founded by security researchers Moxie Marlinspike and Stuart...
I'm wondering if there can be a DIY moon rover project - that will include sending the rover to the moon and then making the bot move, capture videos and...
The computer-based C-CAT for admission to the February 2014 batch of PG Diploma courses will be conducted on two dates, viz., 8 December 2013 and 15 December 2013, in various...
Celkon Mobiles in India has launched a new feature phone called Celkon C76 that is basic at its core and brings an interesting feature of supporting eight Indian languages which...