Could Civil/Structural Engineers Have Prevented The 9/11 Attack?

Structural and Civl engineers must be knowing from a scientific perspective what happened to the buildings during the terrorist attacks in order to prevent future failures.

On the day of the attack, the plane tore through several stories of the World Trade Center north tower within a half-second and found that the weight of the fuel acted like a flash flood of flaming liquid, knocking out essential structural columns within the building and removing fireproofing insulation from other support structures.

There could have been some practices that if followed during construction that prevent the buildings from falling on such massive attacks. I might be entirely wrong in the perception of all of this, so I am looking for some opinions and views from Civil and Structural Engineers.

Here's an animated visualization created by researchers at Purdue University -

Replies

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Good topic! I think it's highly unlikely that the towers would have the pancake effect. If you observe the structure of the towers - the floors were supported by four large columns at the corner of a rectangle. The official reports and visuals show that the once the top floors were destroyed by the plane attack, the floors started collapsing following similar to what we see in domino dashes.

But that defies logic!

It'd be great if structural and civil engineers here on CE can express their opinion on whether similar situations can be simulated in laboratory?
  • Ankita Katdare
    Ankita Katdare
    #-Link-Snipped-# #-Link-Snipped-# Civil engineers?
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    Okay, I wish to know whether there are any known examples or demonstration (laboratory) that confirm that the pancake like effect is possible with the concrete buildings? I seem to be quite inspired by the 9/11 conspiracy theories that I see on YouTube.

I wish to ask all the structural folks here: In a structure supported by four columns, what really provides strength to the floors so that they remain stuck to the columns?
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    If they expected jumbo jets to hit the twins, they could. But the price would be way too high.

You can read here: 9-11 Research: FEMA's Investigation
  • Nachko
    Nachko
    The_Big_K
    Okay, I wish to know whether there are any known examples or demonstration (laboratory) that confirm that the pancake like effect is possible with the concrete buildings? I seem to be quite inspired by the 9/11 conspiracy theories that I see on YouTube.

I wish to ask all the structural folks here: In a structure supported by four columns, what really provides strength to the floors so that they remain stuck to the columns?
    The floors are actually connected to the floor beams which in turn are connected to the columns, this is the common case. The beams may be visible (under the slab) or not (incorporated into the slab depth). Also there are means to connect the slab to the column if you want to. Just search for "floor slab - column connection" in the web if you want more details. Sorry, it's not easy to explain by wors. Let's say that some kind of dowel is formed in order to provide connection.
    😀

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

In this video the American Association of State Highway and Transportation Officials (AASHTO), AAA, and the U.S. Chamber of Commerce present the top 10 finalists in the 2011 America's Transportation...
India's largest city, Mumbai, holds the record for some the world's most crowded trains and congested roads. With the help of the World Bank, Mumbai is revamping its transportation systems,...
The proposed expansion and redevelopment of Sharjah International Airport is an exciting architectural opportunity. The project involves expansion of the transit area through the creation of three new gate lounges...
Should I buy an iPad from Italy? If yes, then from where can I purchase an iPad in Italy? Can someone give me feedback about the purchase scenario in Italy?
sir, i want to send my database which is in sqlite database in phone to the remote ftp server.i am not able to find out how to send it.I searched...