Core difference between Fedora & uBuntu

I haven't had a chance to download Fedora. I've been toying with uBuntu 10.04 since last few days and its charming!

Both have linux working in the background. So I'm wondering what's the core difference between uBuntu and Fedora.

Replies

• sherya mathur
    sherya mathur
    Ubuntu and Fedora are two distributions of Linux that are being distributed for free as open source software. Fedora is a very popular linux distribution for desktops but it has been superseded by the meteoric rise of Ubuntu due to its user friendly interfaces. Ubuntu aims to make it easier for ordinary PC users to switch to a linux #-Link-Snipped-# based system with minimal problems. Ubuntu also minimizes the need for typing into a command prompt and moves the majority of operations into a graphical interface like the Synaptic package manager.
    summary of fedora and Ubuntu
    1. Ubuntu is based on Debian while Fedora is based on Red Hat
    2. Ubuntu is a more popular linux distribution compared to Fedora
    3. Ubuntu is easier for beginners to learn than Fedora
    4. Ubuntu uses DEB packages while Fedora uses RPM packages and are incompatible with each other
    5. It is easier to find packages for servers with Fedora than with Ubuntu
    6. It’s easier to install proprietary software in Ubuntu than with Fedora
    7. Fedora installers often have a lot of packages while Ubuntu only has a minimal amount and downloads the rest from the internet

• Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    So, I'm guessing there's no 'Software Center' for Fedora like uBuntu?
  • hrishi.kb
    hrishi.kb
    as Sherya mathur correctly said Fedora and ubuntu are two different distributions of linux.
    Ubuntu is based on the "technology for Humanity" philosophy, !!
    Linux operating systems are maid upon linux kernal, and anyone can make their own linux distributions by developing upon this kernal.there are hundreds of linux distributions. and Ubuntu and Fedora are examples.

Actually Fedora is a Proprietary Company . even though The Fedora Linux is available for free the company do not provide free product support. and they are selling their support. Fedora linux is an apt OS for many industrial uses. so the customers are ready to buy the services provided by Fedora inc.
    where as Ubuntu community provides their OS and product support for free.. !!
  • Kaustubh Katdare
    Kaustubh Katdare
    I'm actually looking for the internal differences in these two flavors. I already know that they are unix powered and the companies behind them are different.
  • hrishi.kb
    hrishi.kb
    fedora is an RPM based distro and Ubuntu is debian based.(Ubuntu uses DEB packages while Fedora uses RPM packages. They are not compatible with each other and Ubuntu packages would not work with Fedora and vice versa.)

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

i am mohan , I am new to this forum . can any one please help me to solve this problem I hav created a table using div . now...
hi friends, i want some help about searching for a given picture in search engine . somehow i came to know that it can be done but i dont know...
Tides are a powerhouse of energy. The tides can be converted into power using two methods. The first method involves converting the power of the horizontal movement of the water...
hi friend,s 1. Any one know here which language is used to build a operating system like window xp. I read somewhere .net is used to design external schema of...
London, 6 May 2010 - Actix, the leader in Self-Organizing Network (SON) software solutions has been shortlisted for the ‘Best Enabling Product/Technology for LTE’ category for the Informa LTE Awards...