Cooling using earthen pots.

We all know that drinking water can be naturally cooled, if stored in earthen pots. This is because the pots being porous in nature, allows the passing air to penetrate through it, and cool the water, contained in it.

Now consider that if a fast rotating table fan, is placed beside such a pot, filled with water, and is blowing all its breeze on the pot, then will the rate of cooling of water increase ? or will it cause the water to evaporate ? what exactly will happen ?

Replies

• Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    Sarathkumar Chandrasekaran
    I don't think it affect evaporation to a great extent and placing a fan would increase the cooling of pot water
  • Ramani Aswath
    Ramani Aswath
    zaveri
    We all know that drinking water can be naturally cooled, if stored in earthen pots. This is because the pots being porous in nature, allows the passing air to penetrate through it, and cool the water, contained in it.

Now consider that if a fast rotating table fan, is placed beside such a pot, filled with water, and is blowing all its breeze on the pot, then will the rate of cooling of water increase ? or will it cause the water to evaporate ? what exactly will happen ?
    It is the reverse process actually.The pot being porous allows the water to 'sweat' out of the pot. If the surrounding air humidity is less than 100%, the water evaporates.The latent heat of vaporization has to come from the pot of water which cools.

The principle is identical to the working of room coolers.
    Evaporative Cooler
    Yes, keeping a fan blowing on the pot will cool it faster. However, the final temperature will be decided by the RH% and so the fan will not cool it to a lower temperature.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Touchscreens are all fine, but if you want a physical keyboard for iPhone you can look at this QWERTY keyboard attachment offered by Typo Keyboard Case. You may argue that...
I've been wondering if it's possible at all to have just one connector for all electrical connections - from mobiles to displays to networks and everything else. Right now, I've...
Curious to know what's the maximum achievable speed for a spaceship? It takes months for the satellites and rovers to reach out to distant planets viz. Mars - and I...
My belief is that all the monetary system is a big fraud and I'm wondering if the governments pay taxes on their own income through collection of tax from people?...
Tried sudo apt-get install software-center command in terminal. This what I get: sudo apt-get install software-center Reading package lists... Done Building dependency tree Reading state information... Done Recommended packages: update-notifier...