Converting Load bearing walls to RCC

Hi all,
This is my first post here, so please excuse me if this is not the right forum for this post. So here it goes...
I live in a G+1 floors bunglow-type house/apartment with a 2BHK layout on the ground and the first floor. One of the bedrooms on the ground floor has load bearing walls without any concrete columns, while the rest of the 3 rooms have a combination of brick work and concrete columns to share the load slab and hence the floor above. The thickness of the walls of the 3 rooms (with concrete columns) ranges between 6-10 inches. The walls of this bedroom (without columns) are very wide i.e., somewhere between 18-24 inches and the totally inclusive area of the room is about 18 feet (Length) X 14 feet (width). However, due to the thick walls, it is reduced to 14 feet (Length) X 10 feet (width); which makes it very inconvenient to place any decent furniture inside with enough space to move around. Also, it is not good as far as durability is concerned, as the cement mixture used to glue the bricks in the olden times, has been reduced to a pile of dust (which I observed while some one did some masonry work). Also, in this age of high real estate value, it is not advisable to waste an inch of space either.
I was wondering if there is a way to modify this bedroom. What I want to do is follow a step by step process. Initially, I want to put some concrete columns by just carving out some space of those thick walls and join them with the slab above. Then I want to do a fresh brickwork around those columns, which is much thinner say about 6 inches thick; there by increasing the carpet area of the room. Time is not a constraint here, as I can wait for the concrete to curate and provide adequate masonry step by step.
So my question to every one here is, whether it is possible to push through concrete columns and reconstruct the brick walls on the ground floor without disturbing much of the construction else where? Also, would like to know what kind of labor, tools, material, expertise, schedule and likewise do I need to kick off this work?
Thanks,
Bhushan.

Replies

• bhushan1980
    bhushan1980
    Any one knowing anything about doing this kind of construction or any pointers / references as to who might be of help?

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

We all know how using mobile phones exposes us to constant radiation and is a reason for multiple serious diseases. Well, now along with a problem, we also know a...
BadNews on Android. That's the bad news. Lookout, the mobile security company, has found out a new malware family called 'BadNews' that disguises itself as an AD network. It installs...
Owing to a decision made by the AICTE or All India Council of Technical Education locked by a government contract, starting June 30, over 80 lakh college students all over...
hey guys do u have any idea about ELITMUS exam .... if so please help me...
how to calculate the saving using VFD for pump of 18.5 kw if vfd operated on 40Hz?