Controlling the release of mechanical energy stored in a spring.

How would you control the release of mechanical energy stored in a spring. Stored in the box. How can every drop of that preciously acquired, hard earned highly charge energy be squeezed out of a mega spring to be turned into a rotating shaft? How?

Replies

• Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    Nice question, we should look at the "Intelligent Design" in the automotive field that already exists - flywheel. We shall use a rack and pinion arrangement inline with the axis of the spring, which decompresses to impart its store PE into the flywheel that rotates (Rotational Energy/KE). When we want to control the rate of energy release from the spring, we stop the decompression. At the instant the decompression stops, the rack and pinion need to be decoupled using a clutch so that the flywheel rotates independently. The shaft and the flywheel can be connected- both have rotational energy.

The main question is how do we control the rate of decompression. Well, I think the weight of the flywheel must dictate the rate of decompression. As the rack and pinion linkage will ultimately have to overcome the inertia of the flywheel (and the frictional forces involved, again directly proportional to the weight of the flywheel). The heavier the flywheel, the slower the decompression.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    I need to digest that. Very good
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    Question: A flywheel say 36" in dia x8"thick,say 300# spinning a 10,000 rpms on floating bearings. How long will it keep spinning before descending in a self depleting rate? How much energy is stored. A very important question.Detroit knows.
  • Shashank Moghe
    Shashank Moghe
    K.E of flywheel = (1/4) (mass of flywheel+ mass of connected shaft) (radius of flywheel^2) ((2*pi*rpm/60)^2) = Energy loss due to rotational friction = (coefficient of kinetic friction*mass of shaft*9.81*pi*diameter of shaft*rpm/60)*t

We calculate for 't'. This is energy conservation, neglecting air resistance to the motion of the flywheel. I had to use some internet to get some of the formulae. I am not as good at remembering them as I thought I was.

*I neglected the change in moment of Inertia due to the shaft connected to the flywheel, since I would not know what radius of gyration to use then.
  • Don Ross
    Don Ross
    I need a energy storage means to deliver enough energy to power a 1000 watt cooking stove for 3 hours a day. It needs to be of a weight that can be dragged by a healthy person to a recharging station. I read and hear of so much "we can do this, We can do that" I want to just do it. I will keep hammering at it until it's built.

You are reading an archived discussion.

Related Posts

Perpetual battery using magnets, springs,cylinder,wire to create power for LED lighting? Can it be done? A pipe with end caps. Inside the pipe is a cylindrical magnet that is slapped...
Life blood of a community,,,,, Energy A local community, as well as a family, thrives on a bundled, networked, web like structure of local deals, goods and services. These fruits...
A new economic engine using stored mechanical energy. Think about that. A home grown approach to bringing energy to places in the world that are off the grid. Places where...
Crystal Wash is an amazing and an effective way to do your laundry without using any detergents, chemicals or perfumes. The system uses Bio Ceramics that raise the pH level...
Quote: This year the show has seen the launch of two exciting advances that really could mark turning points in their respective technologies. The first is a 3D printer that...